nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Take a Breather

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

Jumping back into school can be a tough transition. You want to do your best in college and make the most of every academic opportunity. But what if doing your best in school means that you need to take a break from all that schoolwork piling up on your desk? Take a breather. Make the transition from summer to school easy by staying on top of your studies while also doing some of these fun activities around the Portland area.

1. Stop and smell the roses at the Portland International Rose Test Garden. Seriously, clear your mind by taking in these fragrant aromas and beautiful colors. A textbook can be much more enjoyable to read when you’re surrounded by gorgeous flowers.

2. Soak up some sun at Sauvie Island. Take the afternoon off and enjoy the day at Sauvie Island, which offers several u-pick berry farms that are all the rage now. Alternatively, get some of what’s left of the vitamin D and lounge on the beach, maybe with your textbook next to you so it at least looks like you’re working.

3. When stress builds, it’s nice to wind down with some exercise. Breath in the fresh air as you walk, run or skip through Forest Park. With so many trails to try out it’s hard to get bored! Bring a friend and have a nice catch-up chat time.

4. Fuel up on some local produce at the farmer’s market located on PSU’s campus. With so many fruits, vegetables and pastry offerings, it’s hard to say no to just one treat! Bonus: taking in all of the very Portland-y foods can give you that boost of energy you need to start tackling that essay.

The college experience is not just keeping your nose in a book. Get out there and experience this awesome city! 

A girl loving the exploregon mentatlity.