This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

For those lucky few who live close to Portland, Spring Break means a week of a (much needed) change of scenery, home cooked meals, and a chance to catch up on the shows they’ve had to skip to study for midterms.

For the rest of us who don’t have the luxury of going home, Spring Break is just another week of hanging around the house (or dorm), group projects and homework looming over our heads. But wait! Break doesn’t have to be like that! Here are 4 ways you can spice up your Spring Break if you’re staying in Portland:

1.     Be a foodie.

Portland had a rockin’ food scene, and you finally have the chance to check it out. Here are a few drool-worthy options:  

23 Hoyt

“New York chic” meets “Northwest cool” in this New American Tavern.

http://www.23hoyt.com/

Papa Haydn

We’ve all heard of this classy establishment in the upscale “ABC District.” Dinner is a little on the pricy side, but split an entrée with a friend and then splurge on dessert.

http://www.papahaydn.com/

Gruner

http://grunerpdx.com/

Weird name, wow-worthy food. Located in Portland’s trendy West End neighborhood, the atmosphere alone will leave you feeling like you’ve stepped outside of the city limits. Oh, and the food is delicious.

2.     Get Lost.

Let’s face it. You’ve taken the same path to class for the past 2 months. It’s time for a change. Taking the bus to a neighborhood you haven’t yet explored is a great way to forget about the mile-long to do list waiting for you at home. Who knows? You might even discover a hidden gem, or your new favorite place to eat!

3.     Take a day off.

Carve out a full 24 hours to yourself. Read that “fun” book you haven’t had time to crack open yet.  Try out a new form of exercise (YouTube has awesome 10 minute workout ideas). Spend some time catching up friends you haven’t seen.

4.     RELAX.

Most importantly, take some time to yourself to REST and recharge. You deserve it! 

Hanna attends the University of Portland and is studying Marketing with a minor in Communication Studies. Getting lost, adventuring in the Pearl on a cloudy afternoon and eventually ending up in a local coffee shop are some of Hanna’s greatest pleasures in life. Hanna hopes to pursue a career in public relations upon graduation and plans to adopt the “City of Roses” as her new home. She is an avid writer and loves spending time with her favorite American authors, Ernest Hemingway and Kurt Vonnegut, with a good cup of coffee and a cozy blanket. Hanna is the Campus Correspondent and Editor-In-Chief for Her Campus Portland.
Hailing from eastern Washington, Julia attends the University of Portland in Oregon, as a Communication Studies major with an emphasis on Journalism. As a magazine and book junkie, Julia reads everything (and anything) she can get her hands on, especially those passionate on young adult culture and entertainment. A woman that gets stir-crazy easily, Julia has been fortunate to have traveled many summers in a row to foreign countries, including a study abroad course in Austria, Germany, and Great Britain. Since a ripe age, she has grown and cultivated her passion and dream of working for a magazine and spreading awareness as well as happiness through the tips of her fingers. Always finding time for herself, Julia can frequently be found quoting movie lines (most frequently Will Ferrell or Vince Vaughn), having a 90's dance party with her roommates, or rereading "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" for the 40th time.