bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Self-Care is Essential

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

As college students don’t prioritize self-care like we should.  We feel so much pressure to do well in every aspect of our lives, especially when it comes to our education, that we forget to take time to treat ourselves well.  As students, we have the tendency to be too hard on ourselves.  We want to to do our best but this should not stand in our way of having fun.  In order to do well in our studies, we have to make sure that we stay motivated and this means taking a break. Each of us has different interests and methods of relaxation, there’s no right way to practice self-care.  It totally depends on what you personally enjoying doing and how it recharges your ability to get back to doing schoolwork. 

Healthy lifestyle choices are effective forms of self-care because they nourish your body and your mind.  Exercising’s one example! I know it may sound like a drag to have to actually get up and go to the gym but once you begin your workout, you’ll be so glad you did.  The endorphins will improve your mood and help you have a better outlook on the day.  We are really lucky to have the Beauchamp Recreation & Wellness Center at UP and it has multiple options to switch up your workout.  Also, it’s super important to eat nutritious food as a student.  Although junk food’s tempting, it isn’t the best option for everyday consumption.  Your brain runs on glucose, so order to concentrate and rationalize while you work it’s imperative that you don’t forget to eat even though you’re busy.  It can be harder to maintain a healthy lifestyle when you’re in college instead of at home, but it’s even more important here because aspects like eating or exercise really affect your ability to do well in your classes and to feel good in your day-to-day lives.

All the energy that goes into your coursework and staying healthy will drain you, which is why taking a break for fun will perk you right back up!  Even if it’s just something simple like watching a 20 minute Netflix episode of your favorite show, make it a point to do something that you enjoy every day.  It doesn’t have to cut into your study time but it does need to be a priority.  We all feel the pressure to perform well and those high levels of stress can be reduced by taking some time for yourself.  Put on a face mask, paint your nails, pray, dance around your room, listen to music…whatever you want to do to make yourself feel good!  It doesn’t matter what you do, so long as you do it!  No one else’s going to tell you to take a break, so you must be the one to do it.  Be kind to yourself.

We all agree that college’s hard but it doesn’t always have to be.  College should also be a time to learn how to take care of yourself.  By taking the time for self-care, you’re telling yourself that you’re worthy of being treated well. And it’s true. You are. Other people won’t always tell you that, so you need to remind yourself every day.  So, make time for self-care because it’s essential for your wellbeing.    

I love University of Portland!