This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

Autumn in the Pacific Northwest is truly spectacular.  But for some people, amidst the crunching leaves and scenes of warm colors, there’s a feeling of persistent sadness sitting in the pits of their stomachs that simply will not cease.  Coincidental that, yes, the initials of Seasonal Affective Disorder spell out S.A.D., but for those affected, it’s more than just a feeling of sadness.  Rather, it’s a preventable phenomena that people of the Pacific Northwest statistically monopolize.

A form of Major Depressive Disorder, Seasonal Affective Disorder is sometimes overlooked- especially because it of its seasonal appearances.  Symptoms may vary in type and intensity by individual, but here are some common signs to look for:

• Increased drowsiness
  • Irritability
  • Fatigue
  • Trouble concentrating
  • Difficulty thinking normally
  • Increased appetite or cravings for sweets

It is important to note that these symptoms are somewhat ambiguous, and by no means should we be diagnosing ourselves or our peers.  It is, however, also important to have the awareness that this does in fact exist, and about 5% of Americans deal with it each year- typically during the Autumn and Winter seasons.  According to Mental Health America, women make up nearly 80% of those affected by S.A.D., and primarily the age of onset is between 20 and 30.  Hits pretty close to home.

So what’s the deal- what causes Seasonal Depression (another name for S.A.D.)?  It might be directly related to the brain.  A reduced level of serotonin and/or an increased level of melatonin just may be the culprits.  Serotonin is a neurotransmitter that influences a number of bodily functions, including an effect on mood.  The reduced levels of sunlight exposure that many experience during the chillier months is associated with a decreased serotonin levels, and low levels of serotonin are correlated with depression.  Melatonin, a hormone related to sleep, is connected to the effect of light and darkness on the sleep cycle, or circadian rhythm.  As the days become shorter, and darkness creeps up earlier, the brain starts to release melatonin more frequently.  The excess of this hormone can mess up the sleep-wake cycle and “can result in some of the symptoms associated with seasonal depression”.

Well now what?  Mental Health America suggests some natural lifestyle changes that can help prevent the winter blues.  Stress management techniques, such as meditation, are shown to be effective in alleviating some depressive symptoms, as are increased levels of exercise, time spent outdoors, and “increasing the amount of light at home”.  It’s important to listen to what your body needs and make the adjustments as the climate changes.  We often fall into a repeated routine and forget about taking time to see how we’re feeling- check in with yourself every so often and see how changes in your environment might be affecting you in ways you may not have noticed.

For more information, visit http://www.mentalhealthamerica.net/conditions/sad