Outfit of the Day Inspiration: 03/30/2012

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

FRIDAY- Express Ad-spiration!

Lately I have been seeing tons of advertisements in magazines for the clothing store Express.  While I don’t shop there myself, I can’t help but be inspired by the trendy yet classic looks they always seem to show.  Here are two examples to help inspire your own going-out ensembles this weekend!

Outfit #1: Leopard and Denim!
First off, I have major hair-envy going on whenever I see this particular ad…her hair is so perfectly breezy and wavy!  Not sold on his hair, but a dude in nice slacks and a leather jacket can’t really do wrong in my book.  For the girl’s look, break out your nicest flared pair of “hot” jeans (you know, the ones that make your booty look amazing!) and belt them with a thin leather belt in a neutral color like brown or black.  Loosely tuck in a sexy, flowy top so that the waist of the pants and the belt are still exposed.  Leopard print is always classic and appropriate, but any other sophisticated pattern would do too.  A long necklace with some sort of large stone or pendant on the end finishes off this amped up take on denim for a night out.  Bonus: also functions as a terrific first date outfit!

[pagebreak]

Outfit #2: Sequins and Plaid!
Yet another example of mixing fancy with casual, this ad is also one of my favorites right now.  I love the unexpected pairing of a super sparkly mini-skirt with an easy plaid or dress shirt; it’s both fun and hot at the same time.  Start with a basic cami underneath a thin plaid top.  Note that flannel is probably best to avoid in this particular outfit, as the material tends to be on the heavier side and you’ll overheat on the dance floor.  The belting idea adds interest but might not translate so well off the page so feel free to substitute with a small, skinny neutral belt.  Chandelier earrings and turquoise bracelets lend to the subtle western feel of the plaid top.  If you don’t happen to already own such a glittery skirt and wish to procure one, you’re in luck! Forever 21 has a bunch online right now, most of them on sale:  Sparkly stripes, Glitter leopard, Blue and silver, Black and silver, and several more.

Photo Credits:
http://www.mobilecommercedaily.com/2012/02/16/express-lets-consumers-shop-magazine-ad-looks-via-mobile-bar-code-effort
http://yohipster.com/2011/10/18/five-best-clothing-stores-for-men-license-to-kill/

Hailing from eastern Washington, Julia attends the University of Portland in Oregon, as a Communication Studies major with an emphasis on Journalism. As a magazine and book junkie, Julia reads everything (and anything) she can get her hands on, especially those passionate on young adult culture and entertainment. A woman that gets stir-crazy easily, Julia has been fortunate to have traveled many summers in a row to foreign countries, including a study abroad course in Austria, Germany, and Great Britain. Since a ripe age, she has grown and cultivated her passion and dream of working for a magazine and spreading awareness as well as happiness through the tips of her fingers. Always finding time for herself, Julia can frequently be found quoting movie lines (most frequently Will Ferrell or Vince Vaughn), having a 90's dance party with her roommates, or rereading "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" for the 40th time.