Outfit of the Day Inspiration: 03/19/2012

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

MONDAY-Double Denim!

Usually the first rule of wearing denim with denim is…just don’t do it.  But with tons of designers sending this look down the runway and celebrities sporting it out and about, it has officially become a trend.  If you are brave enough to tackle this one, let’s at least look at some ways to do it right!  The double denim looks shown here incorporate another hot item right now and one much easier to rock solo: the denim shirt, which will be the theme of all Inspirations this week.  So if you haven’t hopped on this trend, now would be the perfect time!  Bandwagon fads not your thing?  You’d be surprised how many of these looks will work just as well substituting the denim shirt for a well-structured plaid shirt in blue coloring. 

Outfit #1: Preppy Layering
The trick with all double denim outfits is to make sure the two pieces are each a different wash.  This is a good example since the denim shirt is a very light wash and the skinnies are dark.  Take any plaid shirt you have (preferably not blue in this case) and layer it over the top, letting the collar and cuffs of denim stick out.  Belting with a black belt adds structure and keeps more of the denim shirt covered up so the double denim impact is lessened somewhat.  Tan or black shoes would work best for neutrality.  

[pagebreak]

Outfit #2: Polished Sweater
This outfit has a similar idea to the first but instead of the plaid, slide on a bright cardigan and keep it open.  Teal looks crisp in this example, but a poppy coral would be awesome too.  Again, the collar and cuffs are left out, and here the denim top is tucked into the jeans so feel free to show off a cute belt as well!  The shoes shown here might be a little too matchy-matchy, but pretty much any sort of shoe could be substituted, even boots.

Photo sources:
https://soshicatalogue.wordpress.com/2010/10/15/spao-alel-blue-denim-shirt-women/
http://www.frankieheartsfashion.com/2011_05_01_archive.html

Hailing from eastern Washington, Julia attends the University of Portland in Oregon, as a Communication Studies major with an emphasis on Journalism. As a magazine and book junkie, Julia reads everything (and anything) she can get her hands on, especially those passionate on young adult culture and entertainment. A woman that gets stir-crazy easily, Julia has been fortunate to have traveled many summers in a row to foreign countries, including a study abroad course in Austria, Germany, and Great Britain. Since a ripe age, she has grown and cultivated her passion and dream of working for a magazine and spreading awareness as well as happiness through the tips of her fingers. Always finding time for herself, Julia can frequently be found quoting movie lines (most frequently Will Ferrell or Vince Vaughn), having a 90's dance party with her roommates, or rereading "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" for the 40th time.