Outfit of the Day Inspiration: 03/09/2012

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

FRIDAY: Going out?

Outfit #1: Basic with an Edge
This is a good example of a standard going-out look: loose t-shirt tucked into a black miniskirt and a cropped jacket.  But when that jacket becomes a leather one, and you add biker boots instead of heels, this classic gets a serious and edgy makeover.  If the all-dark look isn’t your thing, a brightly colored shirt under the jacket would perk things up as well, or add color with a bright bag and accessories.  If you have to be outside at all during the night, layer thick socks or legwarmers under the boots and a thin grey or black hoodie under the jacket, with a hood to protect your hair if it’s a rainy night. 

[pagebreak]

Outfit #2: Dressy Casual
If your weekend takes you to a semi-fancy dinner downtown with friends or even a high-profile date, this would be an appropriate look.  It manages to balance the charm of a summer dress with the practicality of keeping warm in these last winter weeks.  The pale, flowy dress is gorgeous and feminine, but when worn under a cozy neutral sweater it stays sweet and covers any plunging necklines to keep it appropriate.  Black booties are a stylish choice for walking around downtown and wherever the night takes you!

Sources:
http://altamiranyc.blogspot.com/
http://www.gastrochic.com/2010/fashion/chanel-ss2011/

Hailing from eastern Washington, Julia attends the University of Portland in Oregon, as a Communication Studies major with an emphasis on Journalism. As a magazine and book junkie, Julia reads everything (and anything) she can get her hands on, especially those passionate on young adult culture and entertainment. A woman that gets stir-crazy easily, Julia has been fortunate to have traveled many summers in a row to foreign countries, including a study abroad course in Austria, Germany, and Great Britain. Since a ripe age, she has grown and cultivated her passion and dream of working for a magazine and spreading awareness as well as happiness through the tips of her fingers. Always finding time for herself, Julia can frequently be found quoting movie lines (most frequently Will Ferrell or Vince Vaughn), having a 90's dance party with her roommates, or rereading "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" for the 40th time.