Meet my Roommate, Sam!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

Name: Sam Savarese

Year:Junior 

Major: Business 

When did you decide to be a business major and why? If you weren’t a business major, what major would you be? 

I chose to do business when I was a Junior in High School. I was influenced by my French teacher. I was the only junior in the class.  My French teacher would always talk about traveling to different parts of the world. I decided that is what I wanted to do. So junior year is when I decided I wanted to study business in college. If I wasn’t a business major, I would be an education major. I would be a high school or college French teacher.

Describe yourself in three words. Why did you pick those adjectives?

Artsy, curious, and compassionate. I like connecting to people. I like to get close to people, and being compassionate helps with a lot of it.

Describe the clubs you are a part of. How do they compare to the clubs you were a part of in high school?

Mecha club. They didn’t really offer that in high school. In high school, I was a part of art and photography club. I guess the reason I joined Mecha is because in college I wanted to try something new. Other clubs I am a part of are Disney club, French club. pretty much all the business clubs, and global aid which was pretty interesting too.

Currently, what is your favorite class?

My French phonetics class. My French teacher is hilarious! She told us on Tuesday we would eat cake and sing Christmas carols.

What final are you most afraid for?

Cross cultural, because she is only giving us one side of a notecard. The problem is it is cumulative and it has sixteen chapters.

Christmas is coming up! What are you hoping Santa Claus will leave under the tree?

A pasta machine! So that I can make homemade pasta because now I know how to make it.

What are your Christmas traditions?

When I was little, we were only allowed to open one present on Christmas Eve and then we would wake up and open the rest on Christmas morning. We have a gift exchange where each person takes turns giving a gift. Also, my mom and I  make tamales.

What ornament on your tree holds the most sentimental value?

I have one that I made in elementary school. It’s an ornament where you cut out a foam shape and put glitter on it to look like a mitten or tree. They give you the picture you took for class photos and you glue it on it.

Describe the best book you have read.

Purple Hibiscus. It is a story about a teenager who was in Nigeria and was abused by her father. It follows the struggle she went through and how she escaped the problem.

Describe your style and your style evolution.

I would describe it as colorful. I love color. I like studs. I like a hint of edginess. I like combat boots and military jackets. I’d be that girl who wore giant earrings, giant necklace, and giant bracelet all in one outfit. I have toned down a little bit. 

Hello, my name is Madison Hughes! I love creative writing, reading historical fiction, baking, and running! I am from California and I am studying in Portland. This will be my Junior year, and my first year writing for HerCampus. :)