Meet Mikayla Posey ’15!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

Name: Mikayla Posey

Year: Junior

Major: Communication and German Studies

Hometown: Kingman, AZ

1. What has been your favorite memory at UP?

I have a ton of good memories at UP! However, if I had to narrow it down to my favorites, it would most likely be those memories made while studying abroad in Salzburg, Austria. Because I had three day weekends, I was able to travel to over 16 incredible places and countries. But, more than that, I grew very close with the 39 other UP students studying abroad with me. After living, traveling, studying, eating, and going out together, we inevitably became pretty close. It was amazing to be able to share so many new experiences with people I love.

2. What is the best class you’ve ever taken?

Kerssen-Griep’s cross-cultural communications and identity class has been one of my favorites. It demonstrated to me my own “Americanness” and all the assumptions and world beliefs that come with that. Because I am also a German major and want to eventually work in international education, the class was very applicable to different parts of my life, too. It’s rewarding to be able to tie concepts in the classroom to experiences outside of it.

3. Where do you volunteer? What do you love about it?

I volunteer at Portland-After School Tennis and Education. It’s a nonprofit after-school program for low income children that helps kids with homework, but also tennis practice. My coworkers are all very passionate about what they do which makes it a fun and inspiring place to be. Also, the kids are refreshing. I work with 1st through 3rd graders who can be a mixture of cute and super sassy. They definitely teach me patience, but also a joy for life. PAST&E has become my revitalizer and stress releaser. I love it!

4. What is your favorite Disney movie and why?

Like most people at the moment, Frozen has become my new favorite Disney movie. Although I like all the classics such as Cinderella, I like how Frozen has really turned away from the traditional, princess, damsel in distress plot of most Disney movies. It’s funny, heart moving, and corky all with strong women characters. Neither Elsa or Anna need saving, but rather they rely on their own strength to create a “happily ever after.”

5. What is one item on your life bucket list?

I really want to hike to Machu Picchu! It is so beautiful and holds so much history, as it was unknown to the Spanish during the Spanish conquest and therefore left untouched. Moreover, I’ve always felt that the best way to learn about history or beauty is not to observe it, but sit inside it—bask in it.

6. What would be your ideal career?

My ideal career would be working with an international exchange company. International education has been a big part of my life and it has demonstrated to me that it is one of the best ways to create understanding in our increasingly global society. I want to work with youth coming to the United States but also youth traveling internationally to help them have the most profitable and meaningful experiences possible. What exact position I want in an exchange company—recruiter, public relations director, etc.—, I’m not too sure of yet. But, it’s a good thing I have another year to figure that out!

Dorothy Olszyk is a communication studies major at the University of Portland. Her interests are journalism and graphic design. She is from Eugene, OR and she loves her hometown artist Mat Kearney. What Dorothy loves about Portland is the PB&J cart on NW 23rd  St. and the 90's dances at the Crystal Ballroom.  
Hailing from eastern Washington, Julia attends the University of Portland in Oregon, as a Communication Studies major with an emphasis on Journalism. As a magazine and book junkie, Julia reads everything (and anything) she can get her hands on, especially those passionate on young adult culture and entertainment. A woman that gets stir-crazy easily, Julia has been fortunate to have traveled many summers in a row to foreign countries, including a study abroad course in Austria, Germany, and Great Britain. Since a ripe age, she has grown and cultivated her passion and dream of working for a magazine and spreading awareness as well as happiness through the tips of her fingers. Always finding time for herself, Julia can frequently be found quoting movie lines (most frequently Will Ferrell or Vince Vaughn), having a 90's dance party with her roommates, or rereading "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" for the 40th time.