Style > Beauty

Love Beauty & Planet: Your Newest Beauty Obsession

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

Does the name Love Beauty and Planet ring a bell? Maybe you’re like me and stumbled upon the name while scrolling through Instagram or while smelling hair care products at your local grocery store or Target. The bottles and Instagram posts definitely caught my eye so obviously, I had to do some research. This beauty company’s built on 6 goals that they hope to accomplish within the next 2 years. After learning more about their goals, this is definitely a brand that could become a new beauty obsession. Check out those goals below: 

1. All-Natural

First on the list, is making sure all the natural ingredients are sustainably sourced. Some of their current ingredients only come from certified sustainable sources, but they still have some that don’t hit this mark. 

2. Less is More  

Remember the phrase, reduce, reuse, recycle? Well, another goal for them is in regards to reducing their packaging waste. Their bottles are already made from 100% recycled plastic. Yep, you read that correctly, 100% recycled plastic. Count me impressed. With that being said though, there’s still some room for improvement in regards to their caps and pumps which aren’t made from recycled content. The goal is that by 2020, all caps and pumps will consist of at least 50% recycled plastic. 

3. Fast & Furious 

Have you ever been washing your hair and thought about how long it’s taking you to rinse out your shampoo or conditioner? We all know that we should be taking shorter showers to conserve water and if you didn’t know that until now, that’s on you. Some people might say that they try to take shorter showers, but it takes a year and a half to rinse out their shampoo and conditioner. Well, with Love Beauty and Planet’s fast-rinse conditioner technology, that excuse is out the window. Next on the list is to make their shampoos fast-rinse too. I may not be Raven Symone but I’m predicting a lot of shorter showers in our future. 

4. Honesty is the Best Policy

While the bottles might not be transparent, that doesn’t stop Love Beauty and Planet from being transparent about their carbon footprint. Annual carbon emissions created through the production and distribution phases are disclosed to consumers. You may think, okay that’s great, but what are they going to do about those emissions. Well, according to their website, they actually self-impose a “tax” on the carbon they create. For every carbon ton created, they contribute $40 to a carbon tax fund that goes towards supporting efforts to reduce carbon emissions and landfill waste. It doesn’t stop there though, they also work with “partnerships that help use our fund to encourage higher recycling rates and set up recycling communities.” Talk about some dedication.

5. Start Small

Through a partnership with Ashoka, a global organization, Love Beauty and Planet help support three environmental activists. Within the next two years, they hope to double that support. 

6. What’s New?

Why just throw what you know? By 2020, you can expect to see at least 3 new product innovations. 

All photos from LoveBeautyandPlanet.com

Victoria is a senior marketing major with a sustainability minor at the University of Portland. In her free time, she loves browsing the aisles of Target, exploring Portland and drinking chocolate milk. When in doubt her outfits are almost entirely from Old Navy and you can normally find her in Kenna Hall where she is one of the Resident Assistants.