Lessons Mia Thermopolis Taught Us

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

Princess Diaries will always make my list of favorite movies. Genovia was on my list of places to travel to and I waited for the day for my grandma to tell me I was secretly a princess. It was heartbreaking to find out that not only was Genovia a fake place, but also the fact that the only relation to royalty I had was that I  shared a name with Queen Victoria. Even though none of us will be having a vacay to Genvoia, this movie still has it all. There’s friendship, makeovers, fashion, laughter, girl power, and loads of life lessons. It’s just an added bonus that Mia Thermopolis was totally relatable. With a third installment of the series in the works, let’s take a trip down memory lane to see what valuable lessons the Princess of Genovia taught us.

1. How to talk to strangers

2. The perfect eyebrow raise 

3. An excuse for being tardy 

4. Advice to always keep in mind 

5. How not to walk

6. To never forget your please and thank you’s 

7. How to stand up for yourself 

8. That we should not live in fear 

9. That you are never too old to have fun

10. A perfect response for when you don’t know what to say

11. How to return a compliment to someone older than you

12. To never take yourself too seriously

Victoria is a senior marketing major with a sustainability minor at the University of Portland. In her free time, she loves browsing the aisles of Target, exploring Portland and drinking chocolate milk. When in doubt her outfits are almost entirely from Old Navy and you can normally find her in Kenna Hall where she is one of the Resident Assistants.