neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Bundle Up for a Portland November!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

Well, Halloween is over, and with it, October! As we slide into November and the leaves are falling in earnest, you might notice the temperature dropping. Like, a lot. Depending on where you’re from, you might be completely prepared for the lead-in to winter actually feeling like winter! But if you, like me, are a native of relatively warmer climes, it takes a little extra thought to prevent yourself from freezing your nose off on a rainy day. So here are some tips for everyone on how to dress for the colder weather!

Layer Up!

There are two important rules to dropping temperatures: that they  can be frustratingly inconsistent, and that they make indoor temperatures mysteriously skyrocket (“I have no idea who turned the thermostat to 90, honest!”). The best way to get around this issue? Dress in layers! From long sleeves under t-shirts under hoodies, to thin sweaters under slightly larger sweaters under jackets, dressing in layers ensures that not only will you avoid freezing, you also won’t be forced to be a walking oven for the rest of your day.

Prepare for Rainy Weather.

I’m positive you are aware that Portland, aside from its eccentricity, is known for one other thing: hilariously perpetual rain. You’ve already experienced the beginnings of it in October, so you know exactly what to expect for the next few months! Umbrellas can be a bit of a hassle when you’re, say, running to class in the morning because you slept late, so instead try wearing a water resistant top layer, like a windbreaker, to keep yourself relatively dry!

Think On Your Feet!

In addition to just being great life advice, this holds true in the literal sense for Portland’s particular brand of early winter weather. It’s always a good idea to have a warm pair of boots in your possession, but lacking that, warm socks are a must for keeping your feet warm!

Scarves, Hats, and Gloves Are Your Friends.

This one’s pretty obvious, but once it gets really cold, you’re going to need a little more than a good jacket and a pair of boots to stave off the need to thaw your hands and ears after every trip outside. So, scarves, hats, and gloves are all important to keeping yourself warm! Bonus tip: if you’re like me and don’t care for lacking fine motor movement, fingerless knit gloves are a great for keeping your hands warm while your fingers stay free!

Kijana Gilcrest is a Political Science major at University of Portland. Her interests involve literature, spoken word, social justice, travel, and good food. She is originally from San Jose, CA, where she delights in the fact that she is close enough to San Francisco, Monterey, and Half Moon Bay to escape from time to time. Kijana loves Portland first for its atmosphere of unapologetic weirdness, and second for its weather (believe it or not).