How to “Bee” Successful on Bumble

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

Raise your hand if you’ve ever used a dating app. Okay, now keep your hand up if you’re currently on Bumble. Hello, my fellow Bumblebees! I’ve fairly new to the Bumble scene. Not going to lie I was on and off Tinder for awhile. I have friends who’ve used Bumble and my sisters know people on it too, but I just never downloaded it. The other day though, I was hanging out with my friend, Natalie, and we were kind of bored and we were like let’s download Bumble! Random, yes. Worth it. Eh, the verdict’s still out.

Right after we downloaded, we also got our friend Angie to download and from there the buzzing has spread. There’s a bunch of us who have it and just the other night we were all sitting in the lobby, on Bumble, trying to come up with clever ways to message the people in our “hive” aka boys we matched with. None of us are really looking for anything, but it’s a pretty good way to procrastinate studying for finals. It’s honestly so much fun when we all are Bumbling together, but also low-key stressful. We, as the ladies, only have 24 hours to message our matches before they expire. Once we message them, they only have 24 hours to respond. If they don’t respond within the first 24 hours, then the match expires.

The real struggle though is figuring what to message first. Do you go for a classic pick-up line?  Ask about something in one of their photos? See if they like the color scheme you picked out for the wedding? Obviously, you should ask the wedding question. Let’s be honest though, how many of us look at someone we think is cute and start planning our future even though we’ve never actually talked to them nor will we ever talk to them? Guilty as charged, but don’t worry we all do it.

Back to the matter at hand, what in the world do we message these people?! This is totally out of my comfort zone because honestly, I won’t message someone on Tinder unless they message me first, but that also depends on what they’re messaging. Some people are so inappropriate when they message. Not. A. Fan. Since I’m still a baby Bumblebee, I talked to Alexis, our resident Bumble Babe in Kenna Hall. Here are some tips you can say to “bee” successful on Bumble according to Alexis:

1. Nothing to say? No problem. Send a weird gif. 

2. Don’t talk about adventures because that’s boring. Save that for later.

3. Ask a fun and slightly vague question to see how they respond.

• What kind of dog would you be? I messaged this to someone and they gave me a well-thought answer which made me 10x more interested.

4. Message something about their bio or pictures 

• I only swiped right because of this…
  • One time, there was a guy who had a picture of a chicken as one of his photos, so I messaged him “I’m here for the chicken.” It definitely got the conversation going.
Victoria is a senior marketing major with a sustainability minor at the University of Portland. In her free time, she loves browsing the aisles of Target, exploring Portland and drinking chocolate milk. When in doubt her outfits are almost entirely from Old Navy and you can normally find her in Kenna Hall where she is one of the Resident Assistants.