Holiday Nail Art

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

With Halloween over and Thanksgiving and Christmas just around the corner, I thought it would be fun to show some festive nail art to help everyone get into the holiday spirit! Now, I don’t know about you, but my artistic abilities are far and few, especially on such a small scale, but I’ve done a lot of research and learned a bunch of tricks that will hopefully help you achieve the spectacular nail art that you want! Happy experimenting!

Candy Cane Nail- The first look is pretty simple. All you need is red and white nail polish and a little time! I find it easiest to pick either of the colors to be the base color, wait for that to dry and then add the stripes in the opposite color! Since nail art is huge this year, many brands come with various brush sizes specifically for nail art so you can do your strips in any size that you want!

Snowflake Nail- Snowflakes are great because they are appropriate for the entire winter season! A trick that I have learned is to use the end of a toothpick, or even the sharp end of a pencil to make polka dots and connect lines to each other! This allows you to make any size or shape snowflake that you want! It’s easiest to pour some polish on a piece of paper so you don’t constantly have to get into the bottle and they design away!

Present Nail- This nail design looks complicated, but I know a trick that will make it easier for you! A great way to attempt this is to paint your design on a piece of scotch tape, giving you more range of motion and allowing the paint to dry without worrying about smudging, or even the angle of your finger! This way once you are done you can just cut out the bow and stick it on your nail! This makes it a lot easier to get a more uniform look especially when trying to design on your non-dominant hand! Just put a topcoat over the tape and it wont peel off and you will have adorable nails to show all of your friends!

Holiday Nail- This design is for all you advanced nail artists out there who have had a lot of practice (not me)! With a little time and creativity, this nail art can be conquered! With all of the tips I have given for the other designs, you are sure to succeed! Go for it and have some fun! But really. How cute is that reindeer? 

The holiday season is the perfect time to go full blown cheesy and merry with your nail art! It’s a subtle way to be festive in small doses at a holiday party or even to bring out the holiday cheer at an ugly Christmas sweater party! Either way, have fun and be creative! 

Hi Friends! My name is Sam and I'm a senior Biology major at UP. I'm also the 4th floor RA in Mehling (the best dorm ever)! Here are a few things that I love right now: tea, friends, sunshine, bows, scarves, salted caramel anything, and hand-written letters. I'm so excited to be a member of Her Campus here at UP and can't wait to share new and fun things with everyone!
I like places. I like people. I like stories; every place, and every person has a story. I want to write as many stories about that place and those people until the stories run dry. Which is...never. So I will continue to write. Please, tell me a story.