This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

The time has come.  

The nights are cold and rainy.  

The days are also cold and rainy, but we’re all too full of our PNW pride to use an umbrella so we’re still soaked to the socks.  

Regardless of where you fall on the Fall-fanatic spectrum, from “PSL’s are life” to “But it’s so cold..”, Portland will have an event for you this season.  If you plan on staying in the area for Fall break, bust out your planner and start filling in spaces.  But let’s be real.  We live off of a tight student budget.  In order to maximize your PDX-tober experience, here is a compiled list of various nearby events within a Yelp-single-dollar-sign price range.  Put on your parka and get out there!

If you like Pumpkin Patches & Corn Mazes, visit..

• The MAiZE on Sauvie Island!

This Pumpkin Patch has serious Portland pride.  Each year, the classic idea of a corn maze takes a Portland twist, being designed to give tribute to various Portland and Autumn themes.  In the past, the maze has made out to show the Trail Blazers and Timbers logos, featured Lewis and Clark, Sacagawea, and Mt. Hood, among many others.  And of course, there is a pumpkin patch where you can pick out your favorite orange squash, or gourd if you so wish.  There is also an animal barn and fresh produce market from their own farm, The Pumpkin Patch.  So throw on your rain boots, grab a flannel, and head out to Sauvie Island for the best Fall-photo-ops of your life.  Unfortunately, this location cannot be reached by public transportation, but with a car it’ll take about 15 minutes from UP.  Open now through the end of October.

Address: 16511 NW Gillihan Rd, Portland, OR 97231

Price: $8 a ticket for the MAiZE

Check it out here: http://www.portlandmaze.com 

If you like Getting Scared Sh**less, visit..

• The 13th Door Haunted House in Beaverton!

This popular and terrifying haunted experience claims to be Oregon’s first Halloween attraction, and it certainly scares some of the toughest souls each year.  For the sake of mystery, few details are released prior to the event, but you can count on hella scares!  Check out the calendar for its various open evenings throughout October.  And for you October-babies, stop by on the 9th with your ID to get in for free, otherwise it’s $18 cash or $20 credit card per person.  It’s about 30 minutes from UP, just west of downtown and right off US-26.  By bus, it’ll take about an hour and a half. Take the 44 from campus towards the city center to the Rose Quarter, and hop on the MAX Blue Line until Millikan Way.

Address: 3955 Southwest Murray Boulevard, Beaverton, OR 97005

Price: $18-$20

Check it out here: http://www.13thdoor.com

• Frighttown located under the Memorial Coliseum at the Rose Quarter!

If one haunted house just isn’t sufficient, Frighttown may be your place.  It consists of three haunted houses in the one location: Baron Von Goolo’s Museum of Horrors, the Witch House, and the new Grimthorne Manor.  It’ll cost you $23 to get into Frighttown, but that includes all three houses, “A whole city block of screams and shock!”.  You can also stop by one of their participating stores to pick up a coupon for $5 off for you and a friend, or come by on Wednesday October 5th or 12th for BOGO tickets.  Frighttown is open Sundays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 7pm-10pm, and Fridays and Saturdays from 7pm-11pm.  To get to the Rose Quarter, or Moda Center, you can easily take the 44 towards the city center for about 25 minutes, and get off at Vancouver & Weidler.

Address: 1 North Center Court Street, Portland, OR 97227

Price: $23 ($18 with coupon)

Check it out: http://www.frighttown.com

If you like Ghost Stories with local history, visit..

• Shanghai Tunnels in Underground Portland!

From the 1850’s to the early 1940’s, Portland Underground was poppin’ but it wasn’t pretty.  It featured shanghai trade and white slavery, maritime horrors for many men and women.  The everyday tours at Shanghai Tunnels help educate visitors about Portland’s hidden history, but they offer a special tour for the Halloween-season.  Lasting an hour and a half, you can take part in a Ghost Tour, and experience the darker aspect of these tunnels by learning about those who lost their lives during Shanghai kidnappings.  Some previous visitors reported experiencing ghostly presences during the tour.  Folklore or fact?  Visit to learn about Portland’s history while getting a little Halloween scare.  It’s an easily accessible evening for any student- hop on the 44 towards the city center for about 30 minutes and get off at 5th and Davis.

Address: 213 Northwest Couch Street, Portland, OR 97209

Price: $17

Check it out: http://portlandtunnels.com/index.html

If you like ..WTF? That’s Even a Thing?, Check out..

• The West Coast Giant Pumpkin Regatta in Tualatin!

Yes, you read that right.  While a regatta is typically a boat race, someone in this south-west suburb of Portland said, “Look at these big-a** pumpkins!  I bet I could fit a fully grown adult in that”.  Why the heck not?  “And while we’re at it, let’s give them paddles and make them race across the lake.  I bet people will come see that”.  And right they were.  This will be the 16th year of giant pumpkin paddle races across the Tualatin Lake and you could be there to witness this creative event.  The website claims people come from all over the U.S. and even Canada to see the speediest pumpkin paddlers.  Better yet, you can enter to be selected as a racer.  If you visit the site between September 27th and 29th, you can sign up to enter the drawing from which 20 will be randomly chosen to participate on race day, Saturday October 15th from 10am-4pm.  If this really just makes you tingle with Fall-excitement, prepare yourself for a day of pumpkin-palooza.  The Regatta event will also be holding Pumpkin Bowling, Pumpkin Golf, AND a Pumpkin Pie Eating Contest.  If you’re still not convinced, go for the free coffee and snacks.  This free event will have free Starbucks coffee and treats for all of the pumpkin fans, as well as other food and snacks available for purchase.  This one is a little far to take the bus, you’ll have to make a couple transfers.  But if you can find someone with a car to drag to this awesome event, just head south on I-5 for about 25 minutes and get off at exit 289.  The event will be right off the interstate at the Tualatin Lake Commons.

Address: 8325 Southwest Nyberg Street, Tualatin, OR 97062

Price: FREE!! With items available for purchase

Check it out here: http://www.tualatinoregon.gov/pumpkinregatta

If you’re a millennium but still think that Michael Jackson is the G.O.A.T., attend..

• Thrill the World Dance 2016- Rose City!

This event is AWESOME.  A bunch of M.J. loving Oregonians are ready to bring the Thrill!  AND, you can come.  On October 29th, at 3pm, you and your friends, and honestly, probably your parents, can join the massive, organized group, either in Zombie costume or not, and make Michael proud.  The best part?  People all over the world gather in cities at the very same time to bust out the Thriller.  If only Google Earth would do their thing on this day.  Don’t know the routine?  Don’t worry- this is so legit there are free Thriller sessions.  Come to one of their upcoming practices at Fremont UMC (at 2620 NE Fremont St) on Friday September 30th from 6-8pm or Sunday October 2nd from 2-4pm.  The location is not yet announced, but check the website for updates.  So put on your best Zombie makeup, grab your torn-up clothes, and get ready to dance your undead-heart out.

Address: TBD! Stay Posted.

Price: FREE!

Check it out: https://thrillportland.wordpress.com/

Other events to consider:

• Portland Art Museum

Every first Thursday of the month is free from 5-8pm!  If you haven’t had a chance to go yet, go check it out this upcoming month on October 6th.  Accessible from campus via route 44.

• Parke Diem

Spend part of your Friday October 14th or Saturday October 15th volunteering with tons of other Portlanders, cleaning up and beautifying our local parks.  All over the city, parks have been chosen, given designated time slots, and projects that anyone can sign-up to help out at.  Visit their page under Portland Parks Foundations to look at the various projects they have planned.  Channel your inner Leslie Knope, and let’s get to work you beautiful tropical fish.

http://www.portlandpf.org/parke-diem

• The Portland Saturday Market

Support local artists and businesses at one of Portland’s greatest gems!  You’ll see some of the most interesting objects, and people, at this market.  Open for a few more months until Spring, come by on Saturdays from 10am-5pm and Sundays 11am-4:30pm, right under the Burnside Bridge, at Tom McCall Waterfront Park.  The 44 will drop you off right around the corner from the market’s center.

• St. John’s Farmers’ Market

Get your veggies from your neighbors!  As well as all of your other produce.  Saturday mornings, from 9am-2pm, come by St. John’s Plaza to support local farmers.  It’s right down the road from campus, an 8 minute ride on the 44 towards St. Johns.

OR

• Support our talented athletes and perfoming artists by attending one of our many U.P. games and events this October!

Take’m or leave’m, find what makes you happy.

Study hard, Pilots!