Do You Know this Mystery Student?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

There are almost 4,000 students at UP! That’s a crazy amount of people! Everyone in our community is unique in their own way and we all have our own story. Do you ever wonder about all these people? I went out and interviewed someone in our UP community. You might know this person very well, or just brushed shoulders with them on your walk to the commons. Do you know…

What year are you?

Freshmen

What’s your major?

Education

What’s your favorite class?

My favorite class is my education class because I really enjoy learning about concepts which I can directly apply in my field and will be able to put into practice. It is also the class that I find the most interesting.

What’s your favorite food at the commons/pilot house?

I like to get the global option at the commons. I always enjoy trying different foods from around the world and it’s always something new.

What is your favorite part about UP?

I love the sense of community that we have on campus. I feel like everyone is very welcoming and friendly. Since our school is relatively small, there’s always a familiar face around and there’s just a great atmosphere on campus.

What is one thing you’d change at the University of Portland and why?

If there was one thing that I would change about the University of Portland, it would be to improve the dorm community. I don’t see dorm community as a problem or lacking, but some dorms just have a stronger community than others. I think this is important because living in the dorms is a large part of the college experience and can really impact one’s overall experience. I believe that a stronger dorm community would be really impactful and make dorming a more positive experience across all the dorms on campus.

What has been your favorite part of Portland so far?

I’ve had a lot of fun exploring all that Portland has to offer. I like how there’s something for everyone in Portland. If you are a nature enthusiasts, we are in the PNW, and there’s beautiful natural wonders all around for us to go and explore. If you enjoy an urban setting, Portland’s downtown is a great spot with so much to do. If you want to spend time in a smaller, more quaint area, St. John’s is the perfect place to go. I’ve enjoyed doing all of these things, but my favorite has to be getting into nature and going on hikes and adventures.