This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

In college, being thrifty and saving a dollar whenever you can is a must. One thing that can help save money is making things yourself. DIY’s are super fun and usually cheaper than buying from the store. One of my favorite DIY’s is no-crease hair ties. They are way cuter than just regular hair ties and they don’t leave those annoying creases in your hair! For whatever reason, I seem to lose hair ties like they are going out of style, so making my own hair ties is a huge lifesaver. Here’s your step-by-step guide:

1. Gather your supplies

There’s not a lot needed for this DIY. All you need is elastic ribbon, scissors, and a ruler. You can buy elastic ribbon from any craft store or even order some online if you’re looking for more of a variety of colors and patterns. For this, I’ll be using ribbon I found at Michaels for around $4. Each hair tie takes about 8 inches, so figure out how many hair ties you want to make and buy accordingly.

2. Cut and Fold the Ribbon

Pick the color or pattern and get out your ruler. For each hair tie, the length you’re looking for is about 8 inches. After cutting the ribbon, fold it in half.

3.  Make a knot

At the two loose ends, you’re going to make a knot like you’re tying a balloon. Make sure to not do too big of a loop at the top or else you’ll get a baby hair tie. Push the knot up towards the top and make sure it’s tight. After that you are all done! You’ve saved money and made some super cute hair ties. 

Victoria is a senior marketing major with a sustainability minor at the University of Portland. In her free time, she loves browsing the aisles of Target, exploring Portland and drinking chocolate milk. When in doubt her outfits are almost entirely from Old Navy and you can normally find her in Kenna Hall where she is one of the Resident Assistants.