Coming Out: An Asian American Perspective

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

The closet is a safe place. It’s a quiet and small enclosed space where one can be alone and not face the judgment of others. But once you walk out, there is no going back. It’s a one-way trip. After I finally told my parents, I had wanted nothing more than to find a way to crawl back into the closet. Coming out is hard, but it’s especially hard when there is cultural disagreement.

As of right now, Asia has a very limited LGBT movement compared to the one in America. Some countries allow same-sex sexual activity, yet same-sex marriage and adoptions are prohibited. In other countries, homosexual activity is punished by beatings, imprisonment, and in worst cases, death. This mindset is likely brought over during immigration, creating culture shock, since the two or more cultures completely disagree with each other.

Culture dictates what is “right” and “wrong” in a society. The majority of people in the Asian culture have declared heterosexuality to be “right” and homosexuality to be “wrong.” A homosexual in the family is considered to be an embarrassment. There is an image that needs to be kept; these “problems” can never be spoken about in public and these “issues” have to be kept behind closed doors and remain a family secret. A problem that is revealed to others could ruin a good family’s reputation.

This is a culture issue. Besides the age and generational gap, culture also plays a big part in the acceptance of the LGBTQ community. When two cultures collide, ideals, values, and morals clash and certain issues become black-and-white, a compromise cannot be reached. A side has to be taken.

Another problem that comes along with culture is the language barrier. Ideas can get lost or changed in translation and the context of the words can get changed. Sometimes it’s difficult to completely understand what the other person means or intends. It’s hard to come to terms with an idea that can’t be fully expressed.

Despite all these issues, there is progress. There are small movements that have been started in Asia and even though there is still cultural oppression towards members of the LGBT community, some people are trying to understand and accept this radical ideal. There is hope.