Bringing French Culture to the Bluff

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

Thursday, November 7, the University’s French Club put on a “French” fashion show. The show not only displayed an array of outfits, but presented the audience with facts about the French culture. The introductions for each model during their walk included facts about La Tour Eiffel, Football, and Soirees. Each model dressed in accordance with their introduction, such as a tourist or a soccer fan.

The French fashion show was a creative spin on incorporating details of the French life and city and not just concentrating on the outfits.

Audience members could watch the show while enjoying a crêpe, made from a crêpe bar. The crêpe bar consisted of an array of fillings such as peanut butter, nutella, whip cream, powdered sugar and strawberries of which they could make to their own liking.

“It was more than I was expecting. The team had obviously put in a lot of work,” said Hannah Herrin. “I really liked the décor. They had gone to a lot of effort to make it look authentic. They had background music and I really loved the lights.”

The French Club had never put on a fashion show before and was inspired by Portland Fashion Week. Because of the success and enthusiasm by the participants, the French Club hopes to keep this a continuing event.

French Club’s next event will be a cheese tasting, following a talk by Madame Booth during International Education Week, Monday, November 18. Come join the French Club in celebrating French Culture!

Dorothy Olszyk is a communication studies major at the University of Portland. Her interests are journalism and graphic design. She is from Eugene, OR and she loves her hometown artist Mat Kearney. What Dorothy loves about Portland is the PB&J cart on NW 23rd  St. and the 90's dances at the Crystal Ballroom.  
I like places. I like people. I like stories; every place, and every person has a story. I want to write as many stories about that place and those people until the stories run dry. Which is...never. So I will continue to write. Please, tell me a story.