Books that will Guide You Through Adulthood

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

Reading is one of my favorite things to do. It calms me down, it helps me to learn, and it allows me to escape from the dreariness of cafeteria food and lectures. If you’re anything like me, you often push aside reading so that you can finish studying. But if I’ve learned one thing, it’s that certain things shouldn’t be prioritized behind studying. This includes eating, sleeping, excersising, and most importantly READING. So here are some books that can help you learn, will allow you to de-stress, and provide you with an escape. 

1. Freakonomics… Stephen J. Dubner and Steven Levitt

This book is perfect if you need something to talk about with your professors. If and when you take an economics class, Freakonomics is bound to come up in converstation. Not only is it impressive that you took the initiative to read the book on your own, but it is also very well written. Never before would I have thought that an economics book would make me laugh. 

2. The Money Book for the Young, Fabulous & Broke… Suze Orman

The lady who wrote this book constantly keeps it real. When it comes to student loans all I know is that I have a lot of them. Do I know anything about interest rates? Nope. FICO Scores? No way. After reading this book I am not as clueless about finances. 

3. The Power of Now… Eckhart Tolle

My friend recommended this book to me and I am very excited to start reading it. This is exactly the kind of book that will help you unwind. The book guides you to live in the “now” and leaves you with an interesting new perspective. 

4. The Five Love Languages: How to Express Heartfelt Commitment to Your Mate… Gary D. Chapman

This book is such and easy/quick read! The way Chapman writes allows you to easily understand what your love language is. This book helps you understand what it means to be in a serious realtionship. And it helped me to develop better communication skills. 

5. Anything you should have read in high-school but didn’t… 

Unless you want to be left out of 25% of all conversations for the rest of your life, I suggest you read these “high-school” books. As someone who has not read Lord of the Flies, it’s weirdly hard to explain that to someone whose English class did read it. Read all of the classics right now, just do it. 

6. Something romantic… 

Checking out a romance novel from your library now would be a smart move. Romantic stories act as a great escape. If you aren’t going anywhere glamorous for Spring Break then make the most of your break by reading. Or if you are traveling and have to fly somewhere, use that time to read. 

7. AND, how to keep up on all of that reading:

I know what you might be thinking… “where am I going to get all of this time to read?!” What I do is I give myself about two weeks to a month to read a book. Then I look at how long the book is. If the book is 300 pages, and I have a month to read it, that’s only 10 pages a day. You could read 10 pages of a book per day, couldn’t you? I keep track of what books I want to read with my Wunderlist account. Using that app I can paste links from my university’s library website. Get a free account here!

Kelsie is from Klamath Falls, Oregon. She is a sophomore pursuing a Political Science and Spanish Double Major at the University of Portland. She has five brothers and two sisters. Her hobbies include hiking, watching movies, and telling bad jokes.