This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

Name: Lauren Marin

Year: Freshman

Major: Business

Originally From: Laguna Hills, California 

Position: Forward 

How’d you get onto the Women’s Soccer Team? How long have you played soccer? 

The University of Portland Women’s Soccer Program had been my number one choice ever since I first saw them play my sophomore year of high school. I invited the coaches to all the College Showcases I played at. Eventually I was noticed at a College Showcase in Las Vegas. I was noticed by Adin Brown, former UP goalkeeper coach, and then I was seen by the coaching staff at the UP Summer Camp in July of 2014. Excitedly, I committed to play for the Pilots in August, 2014. I have played soccer since I was 4, and played club soccer since I was 7, and I love it just as much!

What made you decide you wanted to play for the University of Portland? What other teams did you consider? 

I watched them play for the entirety of my recruiting process, and I really loved how this team played the possession style and with so much passion and pride. I also love that so many students go to the games and how passionate everyone is about the games. Although I had several other offers, this program was always my number one choice!

What are the challenges of being on the soccer team and being a freshman?

Freshman year in general is a challenge. It’s a new place, completely new people, and all of the sudden you’re living on your own. But having teammates (a.k.a. instant best friends) makes that transition a whole lot easier. Being on the soccer team as a freshman has definitely been a challenge because it’s a new team I’ve never played with before and a new level of play, but I can already feel that it’s making me better. 

What is your favorite part of being on the soccer team?

Playing for something so much bigger than myself. This program has a proud history that is just so awesome to be able to play for. I also love how passionate the team is and that I get to play for my 18 best friends. 

What’s one thing you would want everyone to know about the Women’s Soccer team?

That what we do is not just about us. It’s about the history of the program, the school, and the community. We play for you! 

Kelsie is from Klamath Falls, Oregon. She is a sophomore pursuing a Political Science and Spanish Double Major at the University of Portland. She has five brothers and two sisters. Her hobbies include hiking, watching movies, and telling bad jokes.