All About the Oscars

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

With the Oscars coming up on March 2nd I thought that it would be helpful to know who are the important candidates for this years awards ceremony! The show is hosted by Ellen DeGeneres so it’s sure to be a fun and hilarious night! With best of the best for fashion, celebrity jokes, and probably a few tears, it’s going to be a great show!1. Her- Written and directed by Spike Jonze, this movie is a shoe in for best original screenplay. It already won a Golden Globe and has gotten huge positive reviews. It’s about Joaquin Phoenix who falls in love with an operating system (voiced by Scarlett Johansson) also staring Amy Adams.2. Amy Adams- This girl has been all over the movies this year from Her to American Hustle, she has really proven her acting abilities! She won the Golden Globe for best actress for American Hustle and I think it’s due time that she won an Oscar for all of her great work! She also was phenomenal in American Hustle, so fingers crossed for her (Cate Blanchett who was in  Blue Jasmine is the favorite to win).3. Jennifer Lawrence vs Lupita Nyong’o- J. Law won the Golden Globe Award and Lupita won the SAG award so it’s a toss up who will win the Oscar. Lupita is the favorite to win, but with Jennifer’s charm who can say? Lupita is nominated for 12 Years a Slave and J. Law is nominated for American Hustle.4. Frozen- Frozen clearly stole America’s heart with it’s catchy tunes, great storyline, and even better animation. It’s nominated for Best Animation amongst others including Best Song for “Let It Go.” Idina Menzel is going to be belting it out during the show and it will surely give you the chills (pun intended)!There are clearly many more to talk about, but I wouldn’t even dare talk about Best Actor! How can a girl pick between Matthew McConaughey or Leonardo DiCaprio. It just can’t be done! Be sure to tune in on the 2nd to watch all of the Academy Award fun go down! Happy Watching!

Hi Friends! My name is Sam and I'm a senior Biology major at UP. I'm also the 4th floor RA in Mehling (the best dorm ever)! Here are a few things that I love right now: tea, friends, sunshine, bows, scarves, salted caramel anything, and hand-written letters. I'm so excited to be a member of Her Campus here at UP and can't wait to share new and fun things with everyone!
Hailing from eastern Washington, Julia attends the University of Portland in Oregon, as a Communication Studies major with an emphasis on Journalism. As a magazine and book junkie, Julia reads everything (and anything) she can get her hands on, especially those passionate on young adult culture and entertainment. A woman that gets stir-crazy easily, Julia has been fortunate to have traveled many summers in a row to foreign countries, including a study abroad course in Austria, Germany, and Great Britain. Since a ripe age, she has grown and cultivated her passion and dream of working for a magazine and spreading awareness as well as happiness through the tips of her fingers. Always finding time for herself, Julia can frequently be found quoting movie lines (most frequently Will Ferrell or Vince Vaughn), having a 90's dance party with her roommates, or rereading "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" for the 40th time.