Active Mind, Passionate Heart: Murdock

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

Name:

Murdock

Year:

Sophomore

Major:

Political Science with a Social Justice minor

Favorite class?

Cultural Diversity and Competence

What clubs are you involved in?

Mock Trial- I am in my second year of mock trial. In mock trial we work with one case and learn rules of evidence and case law. I usually play a witness and really helps me to practice public speaking. We travel around the country competing against teams from other colleges. 

Roosevelt Institute- I am the Vice President of this club. I get to work with the national organization to set up Portland’s chapter. The club gives an outlet to political science students so they can get involved in policy. Right now our club is in its forming stages working on getting projects together

Ken/ Fem Zine- Ladies of Kenna Hall work together to put together a literary and art magazine focused on capturing our experiences as women.

Active Minds UP- As a club we try to help reduce stigma against people who have mental illnesses. One of our last projects was that we chalked the campus during midterms with encouraging statements.

Why is being involved important to you?

Being involved allows me to be productive and feeling productive is important. I like to know that I am not wasting my time.

What projects are you working on now?

Active Minds UP- Through November 22nd we are collecting people’s secrets and confessions to showcase in a “campus-based community art project” called Post Secret U. People can use the showcase to see that they are not alone in their issues. 

Mock Trial- We are currently working on this year’s case to prepare for a competition at University of Oregon.

Ken/ Fem Zine- We are currently composing the Ken/ Fem Magazine.

Roosevelt Institute- Our main goal is building a member base for Portland’s Roosevelt Institute.

What would you say to someone that might argue there is no value in volunteering?

Getting involved in a club that is service oriented that can make a big change rather than a small one is really valuable. There is definitley value in investing in your future and everyone else’s future. 

What do you do in your free time?

I like to relax by watching the Cosmos with Neil deGrasse Tyson. I also really like to play Super Smash Bros. with my boyfriend. 

Are you looking for any new clubs to join?

Not at the moment, but never say never. 

Do you have any advice for your younger self?

I say to myself to give yourself the freedom to express what you are passionate about. Wear what you want, dye your hair whatever color you want, and don’t limit what you say. I’d say to get involved in what you want to do and to trust yourself.

Kelsie is from Klamath Falls, Oregon. She is a sophomore pursuing a Political Science and Spanish Double Major at the University of Portland. She has five brothers and two sisters. Her hobbies include hiking, watching movies, and telling bad jokes.