timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Things to Do When the Weather Gets Cold

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

As the song “Let it Snow” says, “oh the weather outside is frightful.” Seriously though, these last couple of days have been super cold here in Portland. I’m from California, so this chilly weather is kind of exciting, except when it comes to figuring out what to wear. To take advantage of the winter weather, here are 5 things to add to your Winter Bucket List: 

1. ​Do Some Baking!

Who doesn’t love baked goods? Cookies? Love. Brownies? Always. Fruit cake? Eh, maybe not. Grab some friends and have a dessert exchange!

2. Go Sledding!

If you’re lucky and it snows, grab some cafeteria trays and go sledding! Seriously, it’s so fun! Since classes and everything were cancelled  on Thursday, my friends and I borrowed some trays from the Commons, which is our main cafeteria, and used them as sleds. Don’t worry we’ll bring back the trays before the next visitation day because let’s be honest that’s the only time they ever get used. Don’t have a snow day? That’s okay, you can visit Mt. Hood and still enjoy the snow! 

3. Make Some Holiday Crafts!

If venturing out into the cold, isn’t your cup of tea then a great way to pass the time inside is to do some crafts! Decorate an ornament? Make a snow globe? Head on over to Pinterest and I’m sure you’ll find something to do. Make sure to check out our boards and national’s boards!

4. Bundle up and get off campus or at least out of your dorm room.

I know the last thing you want to be doing when it’s super chilly outside is actually go outside, but you can’t stay inside forever. There’s so much to do in Portland! Here are some fun ideas:

• Zoolights at the Oregon Zoo
  • Portland Winterhawks Game
  • Release your inner bookworm and take a trip to Powell’s Bookstore
  • Go bowling
  • Oregon Museum of Science and Industry (OMSI)
  • Salt & Straw (It’s never too cold for ice cream.)
  • Ice Skating

​​5.  Have a Holiday Pajama Party!

Popcorn? Check. Holiday movies? Got them. Pajamas? Of course. Games and crafts? Duh. Friends? Wouldnt’t be the same without them. Looks like you’re all set for a rockin’ holiday pajama party!

Victoria is a senior marketing major with a sustainability minor at the University of Portland. In her free time, she loves browsing the aisles of Target, exploring Portland and drinking chocolate milk. When in doubt her outfits are almost entirely from Old Navy and you can normally find her in Kenna Hall where she is one of the Resident Assistants. 
Kelsie is from Klamath Falls, Oregon. She is a sophomore pursuing a Political Science and Spanish Double Major at the University of Portland. She has five brothers and two sisters. Her hobbies include hiking, watching movies, and telling bad jokes.