5 Gifts to Get Your Environmentally-Conscious Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

Ever wonder what to get your friend whose BFF is Mother Nature and loves environmentally-friendly products? Gift giving’s hard enough as it is and making sure that the gifts you’re buying are environmentally friendly can add an extra layer of difficulty, but don’t fret. Here are 5 environmentally friendly gift ideas the next time you’re fresh out of ideas: 

1. Pela Phone Case 

These phone cases are eco-friendly and come in a lot of cute colors. The cases are 100% compostable and the packing material is plastic-free. Pela is part of 1% For The Planet, so they donate a portion of sales to non-profit environmental organizations. I have the case in a lavender and my friend has it in rose quartz. We get compliments on them all the time! 

Image Credit: Pelacase.com Color: Honeysuckle Pink 

2. Klean Kanteen Water Bottle 

These stainless steel bottles are I love my Klean Kanteen water bottle and I’m sure your eco-conscious friends would too! Klean Kanteen’s a certified B Corp as well as a member of 1% For The Planet

Image Credit: KleanKanteen.com Product: 27 oz in Sea Crest 

3. Metal Straws 

Plastics straws are AWFUL for the environment. These would be great for your friend that loves to sip their coffee and teas. Bonus: These straws normally come in a pack with a cleaning brush so you can have some for yourself too. 

Image Credit: Amazon.com

4. Reusable Coffee Cup

Trying to protect the planet every day is tiring and you’re environmentally-conscious friend needs some caffeine to get through the day. There are a ton of options out there so you’re sure to find one that matches your friend’s personality. 

Image Credit: Target.com Product: S’ip by S’well 16oz Travel Mug-Blue

5. Reusable Bags 

Everyone needs some reusable bags in their life especially if your environmentally-conscious friend doesn’t have some already. I keep some in my car at all times and at least one in my bag so I don’t forget them. Reusable bags tend to be pretty cheap, so while stocking up for your friend grab some for yourself. You can also mix it up and get reusable produce bags or some snack bags. Another gift idea would be to use a reusable bag as your gift wrap instead of buying a typical gift bag from the store.  

Image Credit: Pinterest.com 

Victoria is a senior marketing major with a sustainability minor at the University of Portland. In her free time, she loves browsing the aisles of Target, exploring Portland and drinking chocolate milk. When in doubt her outfits are almost entirely from Old Navy and you can normally find her in Kenna Hall where she is one of the Resident Assistants.