3 Small Things You Can Do to Beat the Winter Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

Can you believe January is already winding down? This month went by way too fast, and if you’re anything like me, that can be very intimidating. Perhaps you’re a little sad that the holidays are over, you miss your fam now that you’re back at school, and Syllabus Week was more like Syllabus Five Minutes and you’re already bombarded with school work. Here are a few ways to beat those winter blues and face the new semester head on!

1. Do some exploring!

Make a list of places in Portland, or elsewhere really, that you’ve never been to but would love to visit. It could be cool restaurants you’ve seen on Instagram or new hiking trails you’ve been dying to try. When the weekends roll around, tackle the places on that list. You’ll discover new places in the city you call home and it’ll give you things to look forward to when the stress of school gets to be too much during the week. 

2. Pick up a new hobby this year!

When you made your New Year’s resolutions for 2018, did you put down that you wanted to read more, or get more exercise in? What’s stopping you? Do those things! Yes, as students, we do get very busy, and it’s so easy to get caught up in our to do lists and not make time for new hobbies, but start small! If you wanted to read more in 2018, for example, make it a goal to read two chapters a week. Eventually you’ll get into a habit and will potentially be able to expand those goals.

3. Remember, spring is on its way!

The holidays have come and gone, the days are still bleak, and sunshine is sparse. But fear not, it won’t be like this forever! The sunshine will come back eventually! In the meantime, take some Vitamin D supplements, listen to a summer playlist and power through. You can do it! Make this semester your own!

Hopefully these small things you can incorporate into your every day life will help beat those winter blues. Be gentle with yourself…it’s going to be alright!

Student at the University of Portland #GoPilots CA born and raised, OR transplant Lover of coffee, music, sarcasm and dogs