The 3 Celebrations You Need This February

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

It might be the shortest month out of the year, but it certainly makes up for lost time with opportunity.  If the year just hasn’t gotten off to a great start for you, things are about to look up.  And if 2017 has been just fabulous, channel that enthusiasm into all of the opportunities February has to offer from these three events.

Galentine’s Day

#ovaries_before_brovaries

Only the best day for all gal-pals!  Whether you and your girls detest the little-naked cherub and all things heart shaped or count down to the 14th, Galentine’s Day is the ladies day to appreciate one another.  Possible themes include that of a “we are women, hear us roar” extravaganza to a modest gathering to celebrate the love between a group of friends.  That’s the beauty of made-up holidays.

For brunch, try these time saver cinnamon rolls and trendy winter fruit salad cups.  Class it up with these straw-pineapple mimosas.

To the ladies. *clink*

Valentine’s Day

You’d think that Valentine’s Day was an entire season long based on merchandise availability and any and all things that mark February in a calendar.  On the contrary, it is in fact only one day, and that one day is going to be fabulous.  Portland offers plenty of events for those who wish to make an entire weekend out of the holiday.  Bond together over other Portlandians’ embarrassing Valentine’s stories from their childhood with “Mortified”, also a podcast for interested non-locals.

Or if you’d like to maintain tradition and celebrate on the calendar date, plan for a spectacular evening out with your sweet partner since it falls on a weekday.  But if you plan on making dinner plans, hurry– tables are booking fast!  See what Opentable has left in Portland; it makes reservations easy and lays out many options.

*February 14th also happens to be Oregon’s birthday, so while you’re at it, throw your girl a HBD. #hbdoregon

Mardi Gras

While technically Mardi Gras isn’t until the end of the month, the absolute very end of the month, Portland starts the party way early.  Starting the weekend after Valentine’s Day, various Mardi Gras events will take place throughout the city.  While some are for 21+, like the Mardi Gras ball, which claims to provide the most authentic Louisiana experience in the entire Pacific Northwest, you can DIY your way through the chaos.  If you’re aiming for the legit thing, you can’t miss with gumbo.  Otherwise sprinkle some purple, yellow, and green glitter on the tables and dress it up with a homemade mask.