Style

21 Things You Need in Your Closet by the Time You’re 21

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

1.  Nice dark wash skinny jeans. 

Dark skinny jeans make any outfit look put together and they add a touch of sophistication.

2.  LBD

What closet is complete without a classic little black dress? It’s a staple that’s easy to throw on and looks great on everybody!

3.  Neutral cardigan

It’s perfect for layering or adding some warmth once the temperature cools down. Cardigans are a simple way to make any outfit cozier.

4.  Basic tee

There’s nothing basic about this tee. They come in any color and shape, making a simple tee perfect for anyone who wants a laid back yet stylish outfit. 

5.  Super soft pullover sweater

A warm sweater is perfect for cold winter days. So comfortable and effortlessly chic.

6.  Striped shirt

A must have for for any gal who loves Parisian style. This timeless classic can be dressed up or down, and also looks amazing with red lipstick. Oo-la-la!

7.  Leggings

Who doesn’t want to live in leggings 24/7? On the days when you don’t feel like wearing jeans, just throw on a pair on your favorite leggings and oversized sweater for the perfect out-and-about outfit. 

8.  A classic and versatile bra that actually fits

An ill-fitting bra can make any day go from great to terrible. Everyone needs the perfect, everyday bra that makes you forget you’re even wearing it!

9.  Sun dress

A cute and flowy dress is perfect on warm and sunny days out with friends, and they’re super easy to style!

10.  Jean jacket

Jean jackets have been an essential throughout history and give your outfit a classic vibe.

11.  Puffy jacket

This is an essential on cold wet winter days. They are stylish plus keep you warm. It’s a win-win!

12.  Lounge wear

Bring out your PJs, sweatpants, and baggy t-shirts! On days when you don’t want to leave your room, these are a must.

13.  Power outfit

During the stressful time between finishing school and going to informational interviews and job interviews, a great power outfit can boost your confidence and help you land your dream job! #killinit

14.  Going out outfit

A night out with the girls calls for a rockin’ outfit to dance the night away!

Related Article: 21 Drinks to Know When You Turn 21

15.  Warm scarf

A bright and cozy scarf adds the missing element to any simple outfit. Plus, you can use it as a blanket in all of the freezing classrooms.

16.  Sandals

Light and delicate sandals are a must for walking around town or campus on sunny spring days.

17.  Booties

From class to the office, booties are a girl’s best friend.

18.  Everyday sneaker

Whether it be Converse, Adidas, Nike, or everything in between, a sturdy and stylish sneaker are perfect for the girl on the run. 

19.  Pair of nice heels

A great pair of classy heels are a pair that can be worn anywhere! They are stylish, comfortable, and versatile. 

20.  A warm coat

Another winter staple. Rock it with a patterned scarf and bobble hat and stay warm all day long!

21.  An everyday bag

Need we say more? This large leather bag allows you to carry everything you need for the day, plus extras! (Anyone say snacks?)