Sexual Aggression: The Dark Side of Fashion Photography

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

This article was written by SVAW guest writer and fashion blogger, Alex Perry.

Fashion advertisements are the lifeblood of many publications, including Vogue and Elle. The September Issue of many magazines is essentially an archive of that season’s latest and greatest photos. Despite their heavy anticipation from fashion lovers, there are aspects about this divine art that is far from glamorous.

Sex sells, we all know that, right? Well, what about sexual abuse? Immediately you would think, abuse? No way! I could never support a campaign or designer that depicts women (or men) in oppressive and exploited scenarios.

But you’d be surprised. Some of the biggest names in the world of fashion have done exactly that. Many of these campaigns have been banned, including a Lara Stone feature for Calvin Klein Jeans. The photos sparked controversy after Australia refused to feature the content in its country.

According to an article from the DailyMail  a spokesperson for the Advertising Standards Bureau, explained, “…whilst the act depicted could be consensual, the overall impact and most likely impression is that the scene is suggestive of violence and rape.”

In an industry full of high-powered women (Donatella Versace, Diane von Furstenberg, Victoria Beckham, Georgina Chapman), it’s deplorable that these types of campaigns are thought of, much less shot, printed and sold.

By spreading awareness of these violent, disrespectful advertising campaigns, we can only hope that those behind the camera, and those purchasing the shots for their publication raise standards much higher.

Lexie Mikula is senior Mass Communications major at Point Park University from Harrisburg, PA. Lexie held the position of Campus Correspondent and contributing editor-in-chief of HC Point Park from May 2014 - May 2016. In addition to social journalism and media, she enjoys rainy days in the city, dogs with personality, watching The Goonies with her five roommates (and HC teammates!), and coffee... copious amounts of coffee.