jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

New Year’s Resolutions to Improve Your Mental Health

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

“New year, new me.” It’s a phrase that’s tossed around almost nonstop this time of year (both ironically and seriously). While some may dismiss this idea as trite and cheesy, this is a time where many of us become aware of how we could alter our habits and lifestyles in order to become happier. I know many people that are resolving to prioritize their mental health this year, and there are countless ways to achieve this. Here are some ways to take greater care of your mental well-being in 2018.

1. Get more sleep

As difficult as it may be with busy schedules and hefty assignments, a little extra sleep goes a long way to improve your mood. Sleep deprivation is known to intensify anxiety and depression, but a good night’s rest may give you the focus, energy, and enthusiasm you need to tackle each day. Just one extra hour a night can make a huge difference!

2. Open up to others

If you’re going through a tough time, sharing your thoughts and feelings with a friend or family member can be an incredibly cathartic experience. You don’t have to pretend everything is okay! Your loved ones may offer advice, comforting words, or even just a shoulder to cry on. Knowing that you don’t have to bear your burdens on your own can make the hard times a little easier.

3. Strive for excellence, not perfection

It’s very easy to fall into the trap of holding yourself to incredibly high standards. Setting your sights high can be a good thing, but it can become an unhealthy habit if you are hard on yourself for not meeting your expectations. Instead of trying to be perfect, focus on doing your best. It’s okay to make mistakes; we’re all imperfect humans!

4. Consider your motivation

Thinking about your reasons for doing something can be incredibly effective in determining what’s best for your overall well-being. Are you going to that party because you really want to have a good time, or are you trying to prove something about yourself? Are you watching Netflix or going to the gym out of habit or because you truly enjoy it? Are you trying to avoid emotions or responsibilities through your actions?

5. Practice mindfulness

Being fully present allows you to get the most out of each moment. It’s can be difficult to truly enjoy your experiences if your mind elsewhere! This takes time and practice, but it’s very much worth the effort.

It’s always a good time to work on improving your mental health! Why not start today?

Angela Rusnak

Point Park '20

Angela is a sophomore Theatre Arts major at Point Park University. She is the secretary and treasurer of Her Campus Point Park, as well as the treasurer of Point Park's Feminist Collective and Active Minds chapter. Someday, she hopes to be active in the theatre industry as a performer, producer, artistic director, and/or playwright. In her very limited spare time, she enjoys dancing, reading, playing guitar, and drinking coffee.
Rebekah Mohrmann is a Senior Sports, Arts, and Entertainment Management major and Multimedia minor at Point Park University. You can find her on Instagram and Twitter at @rebekahxmarie.