My Best Friend and I Disagree Politically, and Are Still Best Friends!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

As the song goes, “Let me tell you ‘bout my best friend”.

This is my best friend, Giulia. We’ve been friends since the beginning of 11th grade, but honestly it’s felt so much longer. In case you didn’t know, I am a Liberal and Giulia is a Conservative. And guess what? We’re still best friends! In this current age of cutting people out of our lives because we disagree with them politically, I think it’s important to show how you can keep your friends and family in your life without fighting about politics constantly. Here’s a few ways that we’ve maintained our tight bond without screaming at each other:

1. We talk things out

Giulia and I both watch the same news show. Whenever we see something interesting on there, we like to bring it up to the other person and see another perspective. This has led to many many conversations at the lunch table with us respectfully discussing our different takes on the current hot topics. And what we’ve found is that we actually agree on quite a number of things, we just have different reasoning and background as to why we believe what we do. This difference can sometimes lead to some variation of opinions, but ultimately our ways of thinking aren’t too far different.

2. We know when to be silent

In the same breath as talking through differing opinions, we also know the benefits of silence. Such as when the other person is explaining their position on a topic, we let them share their piece in entirety before rebutting. We know that interrupting them while they’re having a monologue is only going to spur them on more, so we are patient. We also know that there are some topics that we just agree to disagree over and for the sake of our friendship, we choose not to discuss them. For example, while the Inauguration was playing on the TVs at my school, Giulia and I both watched silently, each of us having our own opinion but respectfully keeping it to ourselves because we knew the other wouldn’t agree.

3. We choose love over hate

Giulia, as a Christian, and I, as someone who doesn’t believe anger has any place in healthy discussion, understand that vile words are not the solution but conversation, mitigation, and compromise are. We value having each other in our lives too much to let something so out of our control as what the government does (or doesn’t do), tear us apart. We still talk almost everyday and support each other in all ways even though we’re on two separate campuses and I would not have it any other way.

So here’s to you Giulia. Thank you for being my best friend and for being yourself just as you’ve let me be myself. Much love to you.

Think twice before cutting ties with that friend or relative just because you don’t see eye to eye. Don’t look at it as a challenge to your beliefs, but an opportunity to learn about another’s.

Blogger and Photographer with a passion for all things art and pop culture! Future journalist for Rolling Stone Magazine and hoping to travel the world! Follow me on Twitter and Instagram @emmaechristley, check out my photography on Instagram @emmachristleyphoto. Also, I have a blog! http://emmaelizabethblog.weebly.com/
Rebekah Mohrmann is a Senior Sports, Arts, and Entertainment Management major and Multimedia minor at Point Park University. You can find her on Instagram and Twitter at @rebekahxmarie.