A Letter to Myself: When You’re Upset

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

Coming to college is a very stressful thing to do for most fresh high school graduates. It can make things confusing and scary but all the while worth it, and it’s sometimes hard to remember that. Here I’m writing a letter to myself to remind myself that I am doing the right things and doing my best. Hopefully this can inspire you to do the same and reflect on what you’re here to do at Point Park University. Let’s all help each other to remember it’s okay to not be okay.

“Dear stressed-out self,

You are in your number one school, doing your number one favorite thing. How many people get to do that and know what’s up their freshman year of college?! You’re one lucky gal. But hey– I know you wouldn’t be reading this unless you are freaking about that midterm test grade or questioning your life or even sad about something out of your control. I know exactly how to help this situation, so read closely.

Take a deep breath and remember where you have been. You made it through high school, we know you never really thought that would come to an end but you are now at a big-girl school doing big-girl career things! You even do your own laundry, the week before you moved in you were having your mom teach you the difference between detergent and fabric softener, now you throw that crap into the washer like nobody’s business! You made it through junior-year level math. It wasn’t required your senior year and you questioned half way through the term if you were going to be able to pass; you passed Algebra II with a C+, that’s a whole letter grade and plus above the passing. You got into your first theatre production. You talked it over hours with yourself how you had no clue how to have a stage presence; you got a call-back and a pretty hefty chunk of lines. You made your parents so proud after every performance after that.

Wipe away the tears and remember the people you have met. Freshman year in high school was rocky as I’m sure it was for everyone, but you met some of the best people that you still call brothers today. By junior year you locked down a group of people and hung out with them every spare second of your days. You still call some of those same people today from time to time. In college one of the first days of orientations you met the people you call family. A group of cinephiles that you can talk movies, life, memes, and more with whenever you need to. Don’t let them fall out of your life even though I think it’d be hard to. But you have the closest people in your life, and they’re honestly the best. Don’t forget them.

Smile, be assured that you are meant to be doing what you’re doing. I know junior year of high school was a tough one to figure out what and where you wanted to apply for in college. I want you to reflect on how much film as impacted your life, if you realized it or not. Ever since you were six and made that comment “But I can do better!”, I really think you’re doing that. You had an assignment where you had to write three different five-year plans, and the second one was if all of your dreams of becoming a filmmaker were crushed. Do you remember how difficult it was to write that? It took you five minutes to even start in envision yourself in a different major and career. Isn’t that reassuring? You got a tattoo on your shoulder that is a film reel with a countdown falling off. At first you were TERRIFIED that it might be a bad decision. Look at you now, you’re planning your next big camera-based tattoo, and most of your ideas are camera/film related. You never shut up about movies you just have seen. You will talk HOURS about how it made you feel, how the cinematography was beautiful, how the colors told the story– you love movies. You didn’t fall into this industry on accident. You were meant to be a filmmaker. I’m sure you’re going to figure it all out soon, it’s just around the corner. Don’t back down out of fear either, you never know what would be behind that next turn if you never took it.

You’re one bad b*tch! Never doubt yourself when you have such a good track record of being great. Don’t sell yourself short, you are really one talented lady. Don’t forget how great life is right now. In the moment that stuff that’s dragging down will really suck, trust me I know. But it’s crazy how things can turn from crap to great quickly. You’re a ball of sunshine, don’t let anyone put out your flame, not matter who they are.

I love you girl, from one fiery red head to the same. Love yourself and everyone else, life is too precious to be a jerk to yourself or anyone else.

Love you babygirl,

You’re gorgeous self.”

If YOU end up writing a letter to your stressed-out self, share it with us at @HCPointPark and we would love to see what kind of stories you have to tell. Life can be hard sometimes, so let’s be there for one another when we live in a world that’s tough to handle to begin with. Have a wonder week, ladies & gents!

Her Campus Video Coordinator PPU Cinema Production Major
Rebekah Mohrmann is a Senior Sports, Arts, and Entertainment Management major and Multimedia minor at Point Park University. You can find her on Instagram and Twitter at @rebekahxmarie.