freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

DIY Valentine’s Day on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

Valentine’s Day is quickly approaching, and as a college student on a budget, sometimes it’s hard to afford some grandiose token of your love and affection. Whether you’ve been dating your SO for weeks, months, years, or you just want to show your friends or roomies some love, these are all great personalized gifts that you can make right in your dorm for under $25!

“Will You Be My Valentine” Care Package

Great for any kind of relationship

Photo credit: pinimg.com

Care packages are always a favorite for college students because they typically contain things that we really want to treat ourselves with, but can’t always afford. This one is specifically good for anyone that has a sweet tooth!

Start out with an old shoe box (we all know we have one laying around somewhere) and get ready to bring back your construction paper skills from elementary school. Like the picture above, decorate the box any way you choose. You can keep with the traditional pink and red color scheme, or chose the recipients favorite colors as a way to add a thoughtful touch!

Next, fill the box with some goodies! Great thing about care packages is that you can put basically ANYTHING in them. Choose their favorite candy, snacks, or even some travel sized beauty or skincare products! Add super cute and witty notes to the contents for an added giggle! Have a SO that goes to a different school? Pack this into a bigger box and ship it in the mail to be on their doorstep by Feb. 14th! This care package is sure to be a hit no matter what!

Crayon Canvas Fun

Great for any kind of relationship

Photo credit: diyallinone.com

Are you or your SO artsy? This is a great gift that is sure to brighten up any dorm or apartment, and make them think of you every time they see it! All you need for this simple (and cute!) project is a white canvas, which can be found at Pat Catans, Michaels, or any craft store, a new box of crayons, and glue (hot glue works best).

To make this cute gift, simply organize the crayons in a heart shape centered on the canvas. For best results, organize them in some kind of ROYGBIV fashion. Next, get out the hot glue gun and glue the crayons into place.  After finishing, let the glue dry for up to an hour to ensure that they are locked into place. Next, grab your hair dryer and white holding the canvas upright, start melting the crayons (be sure to lay down some newspaper first!)! After the crayons are melted and dried, add a personalized touch to the center of the heart by adding a quote, a picture, or your anniversary date! Simple as that!

“Open When…” Love Letters

Great for a Long Distance Relationship

Photo credit: ldr13.wordpress.com

Cheesy as it may be, love letters are sure way to make your significant other smile. In a long distance relationship, you’re probably constantly missing your other half, and everyday emotions (stress, sadness, loneliness) seem to make you miss that person even more (trust me, I know). These little love letters are a perfect cure for that. And best of all, they require no more that some stationary, envelopes and some optional decorations.

Best thing about this gift is that it comes completely from the heart and you can have as many letters as you like. Add some photos to the letters for and added bonus that is sure to make your significant other smile. Some sample topics for the letters include but of course are not limited to:

• Open when… You’re feeling sad

• Open when… You miss me

• Open when… You’re feeling lonely

• Open when… You need be reminded how much I love you

• Open when… You can’t sleep

• Open when… You need a laugh

Have fun with it! No matter what, I’m sure your significant other will adore this gift!

My name is Nicki and am a Junior Sports, Arts, and Entertainment management major at Point Park University! I have an extreme passion for music and concert going. My interests include pop-punk music, movies, and anything romantic!