A Collegiette’s Guide to Proper Accessorizing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

Every girl wants to know how to work an outfit, right? Well, say it with me: accessories are key. From a simple French manicure to a bright, chunky necklace, there are many ways to make your outfit pop without going overboard!

• Look at your outfit’s colors- Black, neutral, bright?

Let this be the starting point for accessorizing. If you are wearing a bold & bright dress, don’t make the accessories just as loud; this isn’t 1985. If you are wearing something mostly black, you want to stick strictly to all gold or all silver- never mix. Play with different color combinations of the season as well!

• Are your nails done?

Your cuticles are crucial to your outfit. Make sure that your fingers and toes always have some sort of color. If you want to just wear a clear coat, that’s entirely better than chipped fingernails. When in doubt, a French manicure is classic and never out of style. And remember, sparkles are a girl’s best friend!

• The perfect chunky necklace: is there one?

It’s hard to find the right balance between a really small pendant and something overly chunky. Typically, statement necklaces are perfect for spicing up a boring outfit, but look bad when you wear them with loud, printed pieces. Great examples within a college-friendly budget can be found at Forever 21 or GoJane.com.  

• What size handbag?

As all girls know, options for handbag shapes, colors, and sizes are endless. Often times, girls carry bags that are entirely too big at the wrong times. But how do you know when it’s appropriate to grab the tote bag vs. the shoulder bag? With the exception of going to class, go with a simple clutch or satchel to carry the necessities (lipgloss, ID, compact mirror, and some cash) in. Remember: the smaller, the better.

• What about belts?

Belts don’t always work with every outfit, but when you need one, you need one that matches. For example, you’d never walk into an interview with a nice jacket and pants with an obnoxious colored belt, would you? The key to belts is to not make them the focal point of the outfit. The right way to use a belt is to make it an accent, just like all of the other pieces you wear.

[pagebreak]

• Earrings: dangly, posts, or hoops?

Earrings can make or break an outfit. Whether you have simple studs, or long and dangly earrings, you always want to make sure that it fits. A trap that most fall into is not knowing how big their earrings actually look on them! Hoops and clanky earrings can be tricky, but keep in mind, if your mom tells you to take them off, she’s probably right.

• Can watches add zest to your outfit?

The answer is yes! Watches are so hot and chic right now. The tip to a great watch is to get a piece that can suffice as a bracelet and watch at the same time. So forget the small-faced watches and get a big-faced one, rather known as a “boyfriend” watch. No matter the watches value, it will always look good, and you can be stylish while sophisticated at the same time (with the exception of your NSYNC watch from 1999).

• Bracelets and rings are usually forgotten, so what can make them noticeable?

Often times, bracelets are worn because they either have sentimental value, like a Pandora or charm bracelet. The trick to bracelets is wearing something that pops and attracts people to your wrist. Bracelet stacking and crosses are very “in” right now, so throw on a bulk of bracelets with a little sparkle and a cross for a stylish look. Rings also can make an outfit come alive, so whether it be a simple silver ring or a standout stone, don’t forget to add some finger flare. Something trending nowadays is midi-rings, which fit your middle finger, and look super cool on!

• What other kind of accessories are there?

Accessories can range from a brooch pin to a scarf to a pair of galaxy-printed socks! Fashion accessorizing is tricky, but don’t be discouraged. Go try on pieces from a variety of stores, and find YOUR signature style.

• Last but not least, your smile is the most fashionable accessory of all… don’t forget it!
Sophomore transfer from the best chapter- Point ParkNow at Robert Morris U (looking to start a new chapter)Member of Delta Zeta SororityPublic Relations/Advertising