stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Best Ways to Jump-Start Your Morning

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

The life of a college student is certainly not an idle one. Our schedules are jam-packed with classes, assignments, activities, jobs, social events; When we think about everything we have going on, it’s easy to feel overwhelmed, which can stifle your thoughts and create even more stress! Fortunately, you can take some steps early in the day to prepare you for a day of productivity!

1. Define your goals for the day Before you go to bed, make a plan of attack for the next day. Write out what you hope to accomplish, review the events you have planned for the day, and schedule time for each task you’d like to work on. Don’t try to cram too many things into one little time slot, though! You’ll only feel more stressed as you try to get everything done in such a short window. Give yourself plenty of time to do your work.

2. Wake up early

It goes without saying, but waking up earlier gives you more time to get things done. You’re allowing more time for yourself, so you’ll avoid the stress of feeling rushed. Resist the temptation to lounge in bed and get up as soon as you wake up – get that energy

3. Eat a good breakfast

Your body needs fuel for all of your hard work! Aim for a combination of complex carbohydrates, which are your brain’s primary source of energy, and protein, which sustains you throughout the morning and helps you avoid a crash. Plus, your mind won’t be consumed with thoughts of food, so you’ll be able to focus more easily.

4. Exercise

Exercising early in the day is a great way to wake up your mind and body. It brings more oxygen to your brain, improving cognitive activity, and increases your serotonin levels, putting you in a good mood. Do some yoga, hit the gym, or go for a short walk… just get moving!

5. Complete at least one chore on your to-do list

Many of us have an ever-growing list of simple tasks we need to do at some point. Performing just one item on your list gives you a feeling of accomplishment, which increases your motivation to keep working. You could make your bed, do some laundry, or run to the store. Any task will suffice!

6. Find a quiet, focused space

Take some time by yourself to relax in a quiet environment. You could meditate, read, study, or simply appreciate the peaceful atmosphere. This calms your mind and prepares it for deeper focus.

7. Give yourself something to look forward to You deserve a treat for all of your hard work. Some people thrive on the reward system, where you could promise yourself something enjoyable once you accomplish your goals for the morning. Doing something nice for yourself will also put you in a good mood, so you’re ready to take on the rest of the day!

Angela Rusnak

Point Park '20

Angela is a sophomore Theatre Arts major at Point Park University. She is the secretary and treasurer of Her Campus Point Park, as well as the treasurer of Point Park's Feminist Collective and Active Minds chapter. Someday, she hopes to be active in the theatre industry as a performer, producer, artistic director, and/or playwright. In her very limited spare time, she enjoys dancing, reading, playing guitar, and drinking coffee.