7 Snow Patrol Songs That Aren’t ‘Chasing Cars’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

One song that is always on everyone’s playlists is Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol. A fantastic song, no doubt, but with Snow Patrol’s 7th studio album due later this spring, I think it’s time to introduce everyone to rest of Snow Patrol’s amazing catalog.

“The Garden Rules “ from Fallen Empires (2009)

I first discovered Snow Patrol in 2009 with the release of Fallen Empires, but I was too in love with songs like “Called Out In the Dark” and “This Isn’t Everything You Are” to even catch this song on my first listen through. But as I rediscovered my love for this Northern Irish band, I found this sweet song about first love that is so simple, but in a way so sad. For most people, first love doesn’t last and if that heartache was put into a song, this would be it.

Favorite line: “You leave me with a kiss/On my quickly heating cheek”

“Take Back The City” from A Hundred Million Suns (2008)

As someone who has a strong love for their city, this is a great song to jam out to. And because I love Ireland so much, how could I not love that this song is about Lightbody’s hometown of Belfast in Northern Ireland?

Favorite line: “I love this city tonight/I love this city always”

“New York “ from Fallen Empires (2009)

Another favorite from Fallen Empires, I actually found this song while I was doing research for another music list I wrote a few years ago about songs with places in the title. I didn’t know very much Snow Patrol at the time, but when I discovered this song, I was blown away by it. Even now when I listen to it after not hearing if for some time, I’m overcome by its power..

Favorite line: “If you were here beside me, instead of in New York/ If the curve of you was curved on me”

“Set Fire to the Third Bar “ from Eyes Open (2006)

Of all of Snow Patrol (sad) love songs, this is probably my favorite and one of their most popular. A duet with Martha Wainwright, her voice blends perfectly with Lightbody’s to create this lovely song about distance.

Favorite line: ”I touch the place/ Where I’d find your face”

“Chocolate “ from Eyes Open (2006)

Continuing with the sad songs, this is one of the saddest yet most honest. Far different from the 1975’s song “Chocolate”, which is about weed, this “Chocolate” is about Lightbody’s infidelity in a previous relationship. The upbeat, fun atmosphere of the song juxtaposes the  honesty he has when he sings “Just because I’m sorry doesn’t mean/I didn’t enjoy it at the time”. I admire very much that he was even willing to write a song about this experience, but also be so honest and admit that he was wrong and at the time, he really didn’t care that it was wrong.

Favorite line: “This is the straw, final straw in the/ Roof of my mouth as I lie to you”

“Just Say Yes “ from Greatest Hits (2013)

A happier song, this is a perfect feel good, “I love Love” kind of song. You need those every once in a while.

Favorite lines: “Just say yes, just say there’s nothing holding you back. It’s not a test, nor a trick of the mind, only love.”

“Just say yes, ‘cause I’m aching, I know you are too. For the touch of your warm skin as I breathe you in.”

“Shut Your Eyes “ from Eyes Open (2006)

I really started to love this song after watching a clip of Snow Patrol playing it live on David Letterman. For some reason, Gary Lightbody was very giggly and was just being a goof with the song so now everytime I listen to it, I think of his giggles and differences between the live version and album version.

Favorite line: “Shut your eyes, I spin the big chair/And you’ll feel dizzy, light, and free/And falling gently on the cushion/You can come and sing to me

There are definitely more songs that I love but decided not to include, and most of the songs on this list are from their Greatest Hits album, meaning they have even more great music than these 7 I just listed. If you’re looking for a new band to take over your life and you like bands similar to Coldplay, Snow Patrol’s your band. And keep an eye out for their new album, Wildness, out this May!

Blogger and Photographer with a passion for all things art and pop culture! Future journalist for Rolling Stone Magazine and hoping to travel the world! Follow me on Twitter and Instagram @emmaechristley, check out my photography on Instagram @emmachristleyphoto. Also, I have a blog! http://emmaelizabethblog.weebly.com/
Rebekah Mohrmann is a Senior Sports, Arts, and Entertainment Management major and Multimedia minor at Point Park University. You can find her on Instagram and Twitter at @rebekahxmarie.