Women Who Slay: Seven Great Female Comedians

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Do you love Amy Schumer? Of course you do. She’s the total antithesis of what a “lady” is – gracious, delicate, polite, doesn’t discuss religion or politics or sex at the dinner table…

Amy has made her mark in comedy history, alongside other brilliant women. But who else is out there? Who has always been out there? We think “ladies of comedy” and immediately think “Tina Fey” or “Amy Poehler.” But what about Marina Franklin? Below is a comedy explorer’s tasting menu to the incredible female talent out there. Whether they appear on SNL or Netflix, they are worth checking out!

1. Kristen Schaal

Maybe you’d recognize her better as Louise, the bunny-eared daughter on Bob’s Burgers, or from Flight of the Conchords. Noted for her distinct, high-pitched voice, she’s easy to pick out in a voice over. She’s sarcastic, witty, and makes a point to act like Louise for fans at ComiCon. 

If you’re not into watching “cartoons for grown-ups,” you should check out her special Live at the Fillmore. If you’re into quirky, slightly sexual people who use phrases like “mother-effing giggle-coaster” and mesmerize you with sparkles, she’s the gal for you.

2. Tig Notaro

Nobody laughs about cancer… or do they? Tig Notaro does anyway – at her own cancer. In 2012, she released an HBO special of her set, “LIVE.” Almost every joke deals with her diagnosis and treatment, especially the not-so-nice parts. It gained her national attention… And trust me. You’ll be laughing with her, not at her.

3. Marina Franklin

Recently appeared in “Women Who Kill” (available on Netflix) alongside Amy Schumer. Witty and not shy about using puns or stereotypes, Franklin kills. 

4. Leslie Jones

If you haven’t seen her on SNL, get yourself to YouTube this instant. In the search bar, I want you to type one of two things: “SNL New Annie” or “Wedding Objections.” Enjoy.

She’s also going to be starring in the Ghostbuster’s reboot, alongside Kristen Wiig, Melissa McCartney, and Kate McKinnon.

5. Paula Poundstone

We’re about to get older here. But not too old. 

6. Lily Tomlin

Recipient of a Kennedy Center Honors Award for her contribution to comedy. Stars alongside Jane Fonda and Sam Waterson in the Netflix series Grace and Frankie. Spent most of her career sitting in a giant rocking chair, pretending to be a toddler. Need I say more?

7. Carol Burnett

The red-headed champion of the variety show and being a funny woman before women were supposed to be funny. She even starred in a TV special with Julie Andrews. She’ll make fun of anyone, including herself, and is the 1960s Queen of No Regrets.

Image Credit: 1, 2, 3

A senior English Writing major at Pitt, one of the senior editors here at HC Pitt. The resident maker, news junkie, and history nerd, I can hem your pants and tutor you in the American Civil War, no problem!
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt