Life > Experiences

Why You Should Choose Kindness Every Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

I was recently a photographer for a fundraiser for my Her Campus chapter. I took headshots for young women around campus for their LinkedIn profiles and theater auditions. As someone who has taken headshots before, I know posing for a complete stranger in stiff business clothing can be a little nerve-wracking for everyone. This time behind the lens, I realized how much kindness can change someone’s entire outlook on a situation.

I’ve seen articles and videos about photographers who asked a stranger for a picture, then took another after telling their subject that they looked beautiful. In my case, after meeting up with each girl we’d walk to our destination and I would ask them about themselves to break the ice. However, I got an even better reaction during the photo shoot. 

I told the girls I planned to take the pictures from various angles so they could decide which ones they liked. During the shoot, I looked at the camera screen and would make encouraging comments, telling the girls how amazing they looked. (Believe me, they did!). The pictures taken after the positive feedback resulted in the most genuine, happy smiles. It sounds like a small thing, but seeing their faces go from so posed and nervous to pure happiness and laughter made my day. At the end of one of my sessions, the girl actually thanked me for the experience and asked for a hug. 

Every day I try to smile at strangers if our eyes meet. Sometimes they look away quickly, but it’s worth it for the people whose faces light up. It’s so important to always choose kindness in our daily lives. Whether it’s thanking the cashier, holding the door open for someone or giving a stranger a compliment, you could make the difference in how his or her day goes. You never know when a kind gesture could be the hope and reassurance that a person truly needed. Recently I asked a barista how her day was; she stammered and apologized, saying she wasn’t used to people asking how she was doing.

There’s nothing better than seeing a person light up when they are treated well. As I was constantly reminded while growing up, you can never be certain what is happening to an individual at home, or “behind closed doors”. In a world that is too often filled with hate, discrimination and a general lack of love, it’s up to you to be the person who reminds others that there truly is good remaining in this crazy roller coaster of life. I know for sure that I’ve had my week completely turned around because of a brief compliment or smile from an acquaintance on the way to class. Be sure to pay attention to the people you meet only for a moment. Your kindness may be a passing gesture to you, but it just might mean the world to them.

Photo Credits: 1, 2

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt