Why 2000’s Style was Equally the Actual Worst and the Actual Best

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

I think we can all agree that the 2000’s was a time of very questionable fashion decisions. Even though I was quite young at the time, I still remember how cool I felt when I tried to dress up like Avril Lavigne, Britney Spears, etc. Pretty much any style decisions I made at the time were based on something I had seen on an episode of Lizzie McGuire. The 2000’s were a much simpler time – a time when it wasn’t weird if your parents didn’t have cell phones and you talked to your friends through AIM chat. However, it was also a time where I was finally old enough to use style and fashion to express myself. The 2000s, for me and many other millennials, hold a lot of sentimental value, a permanent reminder of a time where we were learning who we wanted to be, embarrassing ourselves, making horrible fashion troubles, and struggling through puberty together. So, without further ado, here are some of my personal favorite 2000’s style choices.

1. Clear/Frosted Lip gloss

I’m not exactly sure what the point of this product was, but you best believe that I had dozens of clear glosses all over my room.

2. Bedazzled Jeans

I would not be caught dead in these now but, I assure you, back in the day every pair of jeans I owned was bedazzled in some way or another.

3. Blue Eyeshadow

If you were wondering if I used the little nub of a brush that always came with the shadow instead of a real makeup brush, you bet your bottom dollar I did. #proud

4. Hair Clips

I’m not going to lie, I think I still have some of these lying around.

5. Choker Necklaces

Is anyone actually mad these are back? Unlikely.

6. Juicy Sweat Suits

Apparently, these guys are back too. Not really sure how to feel about this one to be honest.

7. Low Rise Pants

Because the 2000’s were definitely not about comfort.

8. Studded belts

Did anyone else swap the studs with their best friends? No? Just me? Okay.

9. Wearing Camisoles Under EVERYTHING.

Not only was it cool to wear one of these every day, but also, to pull it down over your butt just to be sure everyone could see it.

10. Mini Skirts

Wow. Just wow.

Of course, there are so many other great styles from the 2000’s but these are just a few of my favorites. It is truly incredible how much style can change from decade to decade. But, as awful as many of these style choices were, it is very fun looking back at all the horrible things we used to wear. So, next time you can’t decide what to wear, feel free to use some of these options as inspiration.

Photo Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Hi there! I'm Abbie and I am double majoring in non-fiction writing and communications at the University of Pittsburgh. My passions include napping and napping some more. On the off chance that I'm not napping, I'm probably somewhere in the library or chilling out with friends.
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt