Weekly News Round-Up: 2/12 – 2/18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Here is your news roundup for the week of February 12, 2018.

Florida High School Shooting

On Wednesday, February 14th, a 19-year-old man opened fire at a Florida high school, killing 14 students and 3 teachers. The shooter, Nikolas Cruz, is alive and in police custody. Upon his arrest, he told police he began by shooting students in the hallways before abandoning the semi-automatic rifle and escaping in streams of terrified, fleeing students. Authorities say Cruz showed “every red flag” – posting photos on social media displaying his firearm collection, found enjoyment in hurting and killing animals, and saying he wished to be a “professional shooter”. Cruz had been expelled from the high school, and had been submitted to the FBI as a person with potential to be a mass shooter. The FBI is now working to explain why the tip was not taken seriously or followed up on. On the evening of February 15th, friends, family, and the Parkland, FL community held a candlelight vigil for the 17 victims. This is the 14th United States school shooting of 2018. (Reports citing 18 shootings are incorrect).

Russian Investigation Indictments

Robert S. Mueller III has filed the first charges in the 2016 election interference investigation. 13 Russian nationals and three Russian organizations functioning in the United States have been charged with illegally using social media platforms to influence the 2016 presidential race. According to the 37-page indictment, released on February 16th, 2018, the 13 individuals posed as American citizens, stealing identities and other fraudulent activities. Many had been conspiring since 2014. Although not immediately arrested, the Russians are now wanted by the U.S. government, which will make it difficult to travel or conduct international business. The full indictment can be read here.

DA Seeks Death Penalty in Pitt Murder Case

The Allegheny County’s district attorney’s office is seeking the death penalty for Matthew Darby, the man accused of killing Pitt student Alina Sheykhet in October 2017. The DA filed a Notice of Intention on Thursday, February 15th, citing four “aggravated circumstances” that could justify the death penalty. In the state of Pennsylvania, capital punishment can be only be applied to guilty verdicts on first-degree murder charges. The prosecution must prove that the aggravated circumstances overshadow the defense’s argument. Matthew Darby has been charged with homicide, flight, burglary, theft, and criminal trespass. Darby was served with a prevention-from-abuse order filed by Sheykhet in September 2017, likely leading to Sheykhet’s murder 12 days later.

Olympic Snowboarding and Skating Gold

American Olympian Chloe Kim, 17, won a gold medal on Tuesday, February 13th after earning a near-perfect score on the half-pipe. Kim won media attention not only for her winning run, but for her tweets throughout the competition – specifically how she wanted ice cream and should have finished her breakfast. Mirai Nagasu also made history this week after being the first American female figure-skater to successfully land a triple axel, the third woman ever to complete the move in Olympic competition. Nagasu, 24, was passed over for the American team at Sochi after earning fourth in the National trials. The 2018 Winter Olympics are looking to be her comeback games.

Black Panther Movie Opens to Records

Marvel’s latest film, ‘Black Panther,’ is poised to break Hollywood records. It is currently estimated to bring in $250 million dollars worldwide in its first weekend, and is the #4 pre-selling movie of all time behind only the last three Star Wars movies. The Washington Post has published a primer for the movie’s plot and cast, based off of the Marvel comics Black Panther and World of Wakanda. Writers for the World of Wakanda series includes Roxanne Gay, journalist Ta-Nehisi Coates, and University of Pittsburgh English professor, Yona Harvey.

Photo credit: 1, 2

A senior English Writing major at Pitt, one of the senior editors here at HC Pitt. The resident maker, news junkie, and history nerd, I can hem your pants and tutor you in the American Civil War, no problem!
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt