Ways To Dress Warm & Cute When Going Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

When it’s freezing outside, you barely want to get out of bed, let alone dress cute. My typical winter outfits seem to be jeans and an oversized sweater. Even though this look is totally cute, wearing the same sweater everyday in different colors can get rather boring. Last year, I was determined to dress up my outfits, while still keeping warm because to be honest, I am the biggest baby when it comes to cold weather. The moment there’s a chill in the air I have my chunky sweater, beanie, and gloves on. So, here are some of my winter closet must haves that will keep you warm while still have you looking like the fashionista you are during the other seasons. 

1. Leather Jacket

I love leather jackets so much I actually have three. One in green, brown, and black. They are the perfect go to accessory when going out in the winter because they keep you so warm while still looking SO cute. Pair your jacket with a chunky sweater and blanket scarf and you’ll be warm all night long. 

2. Tall boots

Don’t put your dress and skirts away just because it’s cold! I’ve recently discovered the tall, over the knee, boot trend and I cannot believe I ever lived without it. For even more warmth, wear a sweater dress and some tights under it. 

3. Blanket scarves

The amazing thing about blanket scarves is that you can take them off and use them as an actual blanket. True story. I once used my blanket scarf as a blanket during an unusually cold Pirates game last year and it was one of the greatest decisions in my life. The best part about scarves is that even if your outfit color schemes are #blackeverything, you can add a pop of color with your scarf!

4. Chunky Sweater 

If there’s one staple winter accessory that you need in your closet, it’s a chunky sweater. You can dress it up by wearing different colored shirts underneath, or by wearing a statement necklace with it! 

Winter weather can be rough, but with the right accessories you might be able to survive it. When all else fails, bundle up in your coziest sweater and call it a day. 

Photo Credits: 1, 2, 3, 4

Ciao! I'm Ashleigh, a marketing major & Italian minor super-senior. I love CHAARG, HC, memes, watching gossip girl & cooking shows, and eating pizza.  
Hi! I'm Jessie and I am currently dual majoring in communication and non-fiction writing at The University of Pittsburgh. I am also the Senior Editor for Pitt's Her Campus! I emulate everything Carrie Bradshaw and can watch Breakfast At Tiffany's everyday for the rest of my life. You can usually find me blasting country music a little too loud while wearing a floppy hat.