A Vegetarian Guide to Market (Recipes Included!)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Sticking to a vegetarian diet can be tough when surrounded by a culture of meat-eaters. It can be even tougher when stuck on a college meal plan, in a dining hall with limited options. However, Pitt’s main dining hall, Market Central, provides a wide variety of food, many labeled with a “V” for vegetarian. There are daily vegan meals over at Tutto Fresco, and vegetarian meals at Magellan’s. Still, don’t feel limited to these pre-made meals; get creative in the dining hall and mix and match your favorite foods to build a varied and healthy diet. Here’s a few tips to get you started!

1. Load up at the salad bar. Don’t limit yourself here- eat to your heart’s content of healthy, raw veggies and beans, sprinkle on some cheese, and top it off with a dash of heart-healthy olive oil and vinegar. 
  2. Flying Star Diner serves omelets all day long.
  3. They also serve veggie burgers upon request! For a taste of summer, grab a veggie burger, some pasta salad, and carrot and celery sticks. 
  4. See a meal complete with cooked veggies, grains, and meat? Don’t be afraid to ask for a plate without the meat, and simply add your own beans to the meal. 
  5. 360 Degrees stocks edamame, which is a great source of plant protein to add to any dish.
  6. Fresh hummus, pita chips, and raw veggies are available at Bella Trattoria, and make great sides to any meal.
  7. Bella Trattoria also offers whole wheat pasta with your choice of veggies cooked in, which will satisfy both your taste buds and your health goals!

Still not sure what to eat? Here are a few of my favorite recipes, all made with Market Central ingredients:

Southwestern Salad

Wish you could find a filling meal to keep your stomach from rumbling in class without sacrificing your veggies? Look no further! This southwestern salad is destined to fill you up, and it’s good for you too!

Ingredients: 

• spinach/lettuce
  • baby tomatoes
  • black beans
  • red beans
  • cheese
  • bell peppers
  • ranch dressing
  • salsa (found at Flying Star Diner)

Hummus and Veggie Wrap

This is one of my favorite lunches. Since Basic Kneads keeps their veggies pretty basic – tomatoes, lettuce, onions, and pickles – I ask for a wrap with hummus and add my own veggies from the salad bar! Pair your wrap with a warm bowl of soup or some fruit and you’ll be full and energized for hours.

Ingredients: 

• whole wheat wrap
  • red pepper hummus
  • tomato slices
  • onions
  • spinach
  • cucumber
  • mushrooms

Fruity Quinoa Salad

Keep an eye out for the days when Tutto Fresco serves plain quinoa. First build your salad, then ask for the quinoa on a separate plate to add to your salad later. While there may not be berries, melon, or pineapple served everyday, you can always grab a tangerine, an apple or a pear to slice onto your salad!

Ingredients: 

• choice of greens
  • quinoa
  • cucumbers
  • bell pepper
  • strawberries
  • pineapple
  • tangerine slices
  • balsamic vinaigrette
  • chickpeas (optional – for added protein) 

Photo Credits: 1, 2, 3

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt