This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Winter is almost here, meaning your sweatshirt is not going to cut it anymore. As scary as this thought is, everyone needs to buy a real, functional winter coat! Peacoats are a stylish, functional addition to your wardrobe, even if its just for walking to class. Are you not sure where to look?  Dont know which one will look good on you? Ive got you covered with this guide!

Flaunt Your Curves

Peacoats are made in many different shapes and structures. The hourglass shape is going to give you a more form-fitting feel. Belted coats will show off your waist and help define your curves. Many peacoats are double breasted (with two columns of buttons) which will make your bust appear bigger as well.

Reverse Your Pear Shape

Many girls have larger hips than shoulders. Though there is absolutely nothing wrong with this, if this bothers you, there are illusions to help! If the coat is a light color, the eye will be drawn toward the top half of your body.  Also, try a coat that is bold and has volume. This will even out your proportion and bring attention away from the hips.

Take Risks

There are a lot of edgy peacoats out there!  Stores like Free People and Forever 21 have daring coats that make a statement.  A big trend right now is oversized peacoats that give a lot of volume.

Dress Up Your Outfit 

Peacoats are known to be a classic garment that can enhance a lot of outfits.  There are many choices of colors and styles, so there is a lot of room to personalize.  If you do not have time to make yourself look put together but want to be, try investing in a fashionable peacoat. Just by throwing one on, you instantly look more polished. Dressy and sophisticated peacoats can be found at Nordstroms, Macys, and Express. 

Feel Comfortable 

Most peacoats are made of wool which is a cozy, warm fabric. The looser a coat is, the more comfortable it will be. The A-line shape seems to be best for comfort because it gives room for any type of clothing underneath. Peacoats usually have a vent in the back, which is the vertical opening in the middle-bottom edge and makes it easier to move and sit.  

Make Your Legs Look Longer

For those of you with petite bodies or shorter legs, the cropped peacoat is perfect for you!  The shortened length of the jacket will not overwhelm your body like some of the longer coats would.  If you want your legs to look longer, wear a dark coat and light pants. This way, the attention is on the lower half of your body. Stores like Victorias Secret and Nordstorms have a large assortment of cropped peacoats, so your possibilities are endless!

Image credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt