burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Twists on Classic Winter Outfits

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Is anybody else tired of the chunky sweater with leggings look? I never thought I’d see the day, but I must say I am tired of it. Because we’re in post Winter Storm Jonas, I can’t exactly walk outside in my springtime wardrobe, but there are ways to revamp winter clothing. Here are a few suggestions I’ve come up with and am definitely going to try myself sometime soon:

1. Chunky Sweater and…Printed Leggings

Okay, so this isn’t a far leap from the classic I just complained about – but maybe that’s good! You’re not wearing anything crazy or anything from Lady Gaga’s closet, but a subtle print (or go bolder if you want!) is a great way to change the look from plain black leggings. I just bought a pair from LuLaRoe that I’m excited to try out. 

2. Tight-knit Sweater and a Skirt

I know we all go to leggings to avoid jeans – we all do that, right?  So don’t worry, I’m not making you wear jeans. However, wearing a skirt is a fun way to look nice for class or hanging out with friends, and you don’t have to wear pants or be cold! Personally, I’m fine if I wear a warm sweater, warm boots, fuzzy socks, and possibly double up on tights. I’ve also seen some variations with velvet skirts, which look cozy and ADORABLE. (Yes, I’m always adding to my shopping list). 

3. Not Just a Plaid Shirt Under a Vest

Another classic I see is jeans, Bean boots, a plaid shirt and a vest – what a cousin of mine affectionately dubs as the “white-girl outfit.” Since I just bought my first vest (I know, where was I, under a rock?!), I’m not completely changing this outfit (because I’m not sick of it yet), but instead I am offering minor suggestions. One would be to put a striped shirt or some other pattern under the vest, perhaps floral so you can pretend it’s not 10 below outside. A second suggestion would be to buy a stand-out vest. Try a bright color, or one like mine, with shoulder patches. I love it!

4. Dressed-Up Sweatshirt

When your alarm is going off, it’s freezing outside, your covers are soooo toasty, and you have a stupidly early class, it’s easy to want to throw on the sweatshirt you wore all weekend and truck to class. Let me offer one suggestion: take 30 extra seconds and dress up the outfit! You could do this by piling on necklaces or adding a collared shirt under the sweatshirt. Or both!

5. Summer Pieces in the Snow

So, this year I took a jumpsuit I had normally worn in the spring/summer and put a sweater over top of it. I also could’ve layered a jacket or cardigan on top. I’ve seen pictures with sweaters worn under jumpsuits or under overalls – and both are chic ways to bring summer wear into the winter!

Those are some ideas if you’re in a style slump amidst all this snow! Tag us on social media if you try out any of these ideas!

Photo credits: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Casey Schmauder is a Campus Correspondent and the President of Her Campus at the University of Pittsburgh. She is a senior at Pitt studying English Nonfiction Writing with a concentration in Public and Professional Writing. 
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt