Like This? Try That: Indie Music Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Hey, Biggame James here, self-proclaimed music aficionado bringing you the latest songs from the hottest little-known artists before they break. If you’re looking to broaden your music anthology, I’ll show you the best new bands to listen to based on your current music taste. Want to add some variety to your next iTunes playlist? I can help by telling you the music you should listen to if you like some of the following artists.

Like Passion Pit?

Try Magic Man. This Electronic/Rock/Pop group out of Boston, MA has a crazy up-tempo sound that’s guaranteed to put you in a good mood. Formed by childhood friends Alex Caplow and Sam Vanderhoop Lee, their 2010 self-released album Real Life Color quickly gained critical acclaim. Their new EP You Are Here solidified their position as the next big thing in Electro-Pop. Check out their singles “Paris” and “Waves.”

Like The Lumineers and The Shins?

Try Prince of Spain. Formally known as The Scene Aesthetic, front man Andrew De Torres has a sultry yet powerful voice that captures the listener’s immediate attention. They spent two years working on their first full length project His Majesty (released on October 1st), so you know they’re dedicated to getting the perfect sound. Check out their new soul-southing singles “Rising Sun” and “Find Love.”

Like Lorde?

Try Wet.  Wet is a three piece pop band out of Brooklyn, NY led by the hypnotizing voice of Kelly Zutrau. Their standout single “U Da Best” teeters the line between slow and melodic, bouncy and inspiring. Check out that tune and their whole self-titled EP available on Band Camp and iTunes released through the label Braund Sound.

Like Mumford and Sons and Of Monsters and Men?

Try Lord Huron. This group has such a moving/dramatic sound that just begs multiple listens. It’s the solo musical personality of Ben Schneider, who recorded the bands 1st EP entirely on his own. He incorporated other members to play in live shows, most of whom he has known since his childhood. They released their first full-length album Lonesome Dreams in 2012 with standout singles “End of the Earth” and “Time to Run” through the label Iamsound—home of Florence and the Machine, Charli XCX and Banks.

Like The Naked and Famous, Icona Pop and Capital Cities?

Try Chvrches. They are easily the next big band in Synthpop music–mark my words. Young lead vocalist Lauren Mayberry enthralls and electrifies listeners while Iain Cook and Martin Doherty provide the backdrop of stifling synthesizers and baselines.  Their debut album The Bones of What You Believe has songs at all ends of the spectrum, from spirited upbeat party tracks to downtempo introspective pieces. Check out their tunes “The Mother We Share,” “Gun,” and “Recover.”

Treat yourself to some new bands and tune in next time.

Listen. Learn. Love.

Biggame James

Photo Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Born in Jersey, raised in Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada. Music has been a part of my life since I can remember. My current passions include, Producing, Audio Engineering and DJing as well as running my own music blog since Freshman Year. I write a few Sex and Relationship articles as well. (Its pronounced Big-Game) Listen. Learn. Love.
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt