This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Every Monday, I make my faithful trip to Trader Joe’s. Even though grocery shopping is one of my favorite hobbies, Trader Joe’s is a great place for students to shop that don’t find it a hobby. Believe it or not, it is a budget friendly place where you can bring out your inner foodie!

The Cheese

Trader Joe’s has one of the best cheese selections I have even seen. The prices are pretty hard to beat as well. A whole log of goat cheese is $3.99. Most places sell half that amount for higher prices. You can also find specialty cheeses such as Comte, which resembles a Gruyere. My personal favorites are the shredded cheese mixes, because they’re not just your normal cheddar mix. Go check out the many varieties!

To Try: Gouda with Wasabi

The Produce

If you’re looking to eat more (or new) veggies, Trader Joe’s is the place to go. There are pre-cut vegetables for your lazy nights in, bagged spinach (only $1.99) for your salads, and fun items like broccoli slaw for your adventurous side! If you are feeling like Wolfgang Puck, there are a number of eclectic vegetables such as bok choi and butternut squash to impress your dinner guests.

To Try: Pre-sliced Beets

Finally, you can buy fruit without busting your wallet. Bananas are $0.19 a piece, and avocados come in packs of four for less than the average grocery store price. For that night when you’re playing hostess, you can get a bag of lemons for less than a dollar and a half. Now, you can finally get your fill of fiber and nutrients with these lovely fruits (which are always in tip-top shape!)

To Try: Plums

Frozen Items

This is what makes Trader Joe’s a diamond in the rough. You can find quick, inexpensive, easy meals that cover a wide range of international territory. There are also a handful of healthy options. The Superfood Pilaf is a conglomeration of quinoa, sweet potato, and kale. All you have to do is heat and serve! The frozen fruit is reasonably priced and a delicious addition to smoothies. The fish selection is also impressive; most of the options are a great way to get protein and omega 3 fatty acids.

To Try: Tuna Steaks

Other Things to Check Out:

Spices: There are a great number of fun spices to enhance your next dish!

To Try: BBQ Rub and seasoning with Coffee and Garlic

Sauces/ Marinades: Trader Joe’s gets creative with their sauces. I usually pick up one every time I shop.

To Try: Thai Yellow Curry Sauce

Flowers: Flowers are a great way to brighten up your apartment- right now seasonal bunches are $3.99!

Cards: Trader Joes has some of the cutest and wittiest cards I’ve seen and they’re only $0.99.

Sweet Snacks: No matter what your sweet craving may be, Trader Joe’s probably has what you need. Just be sure to watch your portions. Just because it’s from Trader Joe’s does not mean it is healthier.

To Try: Chocolate Covered S’mores Bites

Free Samples: My favorite part! Every day there is a new beverage and food to try.

Image Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

I'm a Nutrition and Dietetics student at Pitt. When I'm not cooking, I'm teaching ballet, attempting yoga poses, and buying shoes.
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt