TeamMate: An Interview with the Band

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Last month, a few members of HC Pitt got together to see Bleachers—the side-project of Fun.’s Jack Antonoff –at Mr. Small’s Funhouse in Millvale, PA. We also got the opportunity to interview one of the amazing opening acts, TeamMate. TeamMate is a duo consisting of Scott and Dani (a Pittsburgh native). You may have seen them last year when they opened for OneRepublic at our very own Fall Fest 2013. We loved their performance and were excited to talk to them about their sound, embarrassing moments, and their favorite things about Pittsburgh!

HC: How would you describe your sound?

D: Upbeat synthpop.

HC: What are your goals as a band and where do you see yourself next?

D: We’ll be releasing more new music in the next year and we’ll continue to tour.

S:  Yeah, I think our goals are just to keep getting better: better live shows, better songs, etc. And enjoy the journey regardless of the goals. We just like having something to do together still.

HC: What has been the highlight of your careers thus far?

S: Man… I don’t know. Everything we’ve been doing feels like one big highlight. We’re super lucky to be able to do this. But if I had to pick one thing, I think the One Republic shows and LA Pride were the most special. I guess that’s two things but WHATEVER.

HC: Have you had any embarrassing moments on stage?

S: Hmmmm… Nothing SUPER embarrassing yet, thankfully. [One time] I did shock myself plugging something in on stage right before we started. That wasn’t fun.

HC: Dani, since our magazine has such a large focus on women, we’d like to know how you feel about the world of alternative and rock music still being seemingly dominated by men?

D: There are a lot of excellent women musicians out there, in all genres. Seems to be more present than ever and it’s great.  I don’t know that I necessarily think it’s DOMINATED by men, but it can feel like a boys club at times, for sure. That’s definitely changing and more and more young women are learning instruments, starting bands, and taking over the spotlight. 

HC: What would you say to a girl who might be too intimidated by that scene to pursue her interest in it?

D: I would tell her to be confident and never doubt herself. Jump in it with every ounce of passion you have and surround yourself with other musicians you respect (girls, boys, everyone).

S: Boys rule, girls drool. JK. 

HC: Who are some of your favorite female musicians?

D: Some of my personal favorites are Cyndi Lauper, Chrissie Hynde, Kate Bush, Karen O., Sarah Barthel, Robyn, and so on…

S: I am in love with Sara Bareilles. Please send her a link to this article. I’m a MASSIVE fan of Aimee Mann and Carole King and Sarah McLachlan.

HC: Everything I’ve read about you online focuses a lot on your former relationship. Do you ever wish it was more about the music and less about your personal lives? [They were previously in a relationship for 10 years before Dani came out to Scott. They eventually found their way back to each other in the name of music.]

S: I think we’d always like people to be a fan of the music first, but our story is such an integral part of who we are. I hope the songs stand on their own but it’s nice to have the extra layer of understanding where we’re coming from when we sing them.

HC: We loved seeing you at our Fall Fest last year! What are your favorite things about Pittsburgh? Any secret hotspots you want to share with our readers?

D: I’m originally from Pittsburgh and I love everything about it.  I’m not sure it’s a secret anymore but I’m pretty sure Lawrenceville is the new hotspot…

S: I’ll tell ya’ a secret about Pittsburgh. About 75 miles south is Morgantown, WV, where I went to college (and Dani too); that is amazing you should definitely go hang out. I miss living there and love that place. I also love Pittsburgh. Especially Squirrel Hill.

Image credit: 1, author’s own

BA in Communication and Business Certificate in Digital Media University of Pittsburgh 2016   HC Pitt Business Manager & Social Media Manager 2015-2016 I like sleep and pop culture. @laurnace | laurnace@gmail.com *Opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect Her Campus or Her Campus Pitt as a whole nor do others' opinions necessarily reflect my own. 
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt