The Stages of Premature Christmas Celebration

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

So, it’s November. The remnants of candy corn and other obscure sweets nobody bought are traded for candy canes and chocolate Santas on the shelves at Rite Aid. Starbucks cups are now red with little snowflakes. Most of campus is still in their beds, nursing their massive hangovers as they admire what is left of their “Netflix and Chill” or “Mario and Luigi” costumes. Halloweekend 2015 has officially come to a close. What now? The radio stations don’t start playing Christmas music until after Thanksgiving. You can’t buy a Christmas tree yet or it will be long gone by the time the big day rolls around. Everyone around you says the Christmas Spirit comes out right after Thanksgiving and not a moment before. Some people are just no fun. For those that may not understand the struggles of waiting, I’ve compiled a list of the stages early Christmas celebrators must go through every November.

Music

This is where it all begins. Just because it isn’t playing on the radio doesn’t mean I can’t keep my massive Christmas playlist on repeat at every waking moment. I like to make the most out of my Spotify subscription and keep music playing constantly. If I kept my headphones in, I consider it a good day.

Movies

This is an obvious next step. Why only listen to “Frosty The Snowman” on my phone when I can listen AND watch it on my TV? The Christmas movies will slowly begin to make their way onto Netflix Instant and Amazon Prime Video, but until then, that’s what Google is for.

Baking

Now that we’ve had our fair share of pumpkin spice products (I heard the Oreos were incredible), it’s time to move on to bigger and better things. Although pumpkin bread has a special place in my heart, I can now also add in any and all kinds of cookies, barks, fudge, and basically anything else that’s at least half sugar. And don’t forget about the peppermint!

Shopping

It may not be Black Friday yet, but I like to take my time deciding on gifts. I’ll probably go to the same store and look at the same item at least three times before I’m SURE it’s the perfect Christmas gift. You can’t rush perfection.

Decorating

I try to hold off as much as I can to avoid further public ridicule, but I can only last so long. Why wait when Christmas lights are so pretty? But don’t forget about the wreaths and bows and mistletoe!

Dressing Up

I finally break and whip out all of my Christmas clothing. Sweaters, socks, even my Santa hat and reindeer antlers. I’m ready to celebrate and I’m not going to let anyone forget it!

So even if you can’t stand people who celebrate Christmas “too early,” you’ve got to give us points for spirit. Who knows – maybe one day you will join us in the fun.

Photo Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Hi! I'm a senior at the University of Pittsburgh majoring in communication and nonfiction writing. This is my third year at Her Campus Pitt and my second year as the entertainment category editor! I'm also a chapter advisor this semester! I'm a pizza-loving cat mom with a chronic habit of napping from the Boston area. I enjoy spending time binge-watching netflix, snuggling, reading, writing, cooking, and hanging out with my friends. I'm looking forward to becoming increasingly involved with everything Her Campus over the remainder of the college career! Thanks for reading my articles and always feel free to contact me with feedback :)
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt