Splurge vs. Save: A Complete Guide for a Collegiette’s Closet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Too many of us regret wasting money on clothes we don’t need.  It’s hard to tell what pieces we should buy for a couple bucks and what to save up for.  I know the college budget is limited, so here are some easy guidelines to help you out!

Splurge… Jeans

A perfect pair of jeans can change your life!  They are an everyday staple for your closet and need to fit well.  Good quality means higher prices, so don’t be afraid to splurge.  Having nice jeans is way better than multiple cheap pairs.  

Save… Skirts

Skirts, on the other hand, are cheap strips of fabric sewn together.  The cost of production is next to nothing, so be careful of overpricing.  You shouldn’t need to spend more than $15!

Splurge…  Jewelry

Too many times I have happily purchased a necklace for a few bucks, but it breaks the next day.  Find some nice jewelry that is made well, and it will be worth it!

Save… Sunglasses

Most people can’t tell the difference between designer and non-designer sunglasses. Shades are a fun accessory for the summer that shouldn’t be taken seriously.  So yes, buy that $5 pair from the boardwalk!

Splurge… Winter sweaters

Winter sweaters are all about quality of the material.  A more expensive sweater will have a softer, warmer feel. 

Save… Summer dresses

The cheapest stores out there like Forever 21, H&M and Wal-Mart are all flooded with cute summer dresses that basically look identical to designer stores.  Most dresses use a small amount of fabric and have a flowy construction, so there is no need to spend a lot of money. 

Splurge… Purses/bags

A bag with good material and construction will last forever.  If you find a classic bag that matches and fits everything, ignore the price tag! 

Save… Scarves

Scarves are rectangle pieces of fabric that cost no money to make.  I guarantee you can find a replica of a fancy scarf for a fraction of the price.

Splurge… Everyday tops

If you know there is a particular style you wear all the time, it is worth the splurge.  Those classic pieces will be something you are always thankful for in your closet. 

Save… Party tops

NEVER wear expensive clothes while going out.  Within a blink, there is a high chance everything will be stained.  Find some fun clothes that you can wear a few times and be done with, and you’re wallet will be happy!

Image credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt