Senior Sign Off: My Advice to Underclassmen

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

As a soon-to-be college graduate, there is a lot of reflection going on in my mind on my past experiences as I’m preparing to start my next chapter in life. There are a lot of life lessons I’ve had to learn the hard way throughout my four years of college. High school is supposedly a preparation for this type of higher education, but most of the time they can’t even convey the half of it. I’ve made a lot of mistakes in college; sometimes I wish I had a little more advising before leaving home to live on my own at school. In order to perhaps give all the lost and confused underclassmen out there a little guidance, I’ve described the 6 biggest lessons I’ve learned about college that would have saved me a lot of trouble had I known them earlier. I have definitely learned a lot in college, but most of it was nonacademic.

1. If you are not completely sure what you want to major in, start undeclared. I was so afraid of choosing to be undeclared because I thought there was a stigma associated with it that all undeclared students are lost and have no direction in life. Because of this, I chose a couple different fields that I thought might be of interest to me, but now I’m wishing I would have chosen something else or at least explored a little more to be completely sure. At this point in life, it is more than okay to not be exactly sure where you want to go in life, and if you have the opportunity to explore your options, definitely take advantage of it.

2. Be open to new experiences and befriend as many people as you can. I know you’ve heard this one plenty of times before, but that’s only because it’s so important in ensuring your best college experience possible. Put yourself out there by joining lots of student organizations and chatting up people in your classes. It’s good to have a multitude of people in your arsenal in case you’re ever in need of a cup of sugar or a fun plan on a Friday night.

3. On the other hand, don’t be afraid to be alone sometimes. There’s no need to starve yourself until 9 pm because that’s when your roommate finally gets out of night class to go to dinner. It’s totally okay to eat or do anything else by yourself from time to time if none of your friends are available. It can be hard to coordinate students’ busy schedules and I assure you that no passersby are going to judge you and assume you’re alone because you’re some kind of crazy loner who has no friends. Plus, some extra solitude is a refreshing change of pace.

4. Reach out for help when you need it. Whether you need an extension on a paper, want to brush up on your job interview skills, or are having a rough time adjusting, there are so many resources on campus available to help you that your tuition dollars are paying for anyway, so you might as well take advantage of them. I always felt intimidated going to my professors’ office hours when I could have used some extra help, so I psyched myself out of going to them until my senior year. That’s when I realized that it really wasn’t a big deal at all and, newsflash, your professors are specifically there to help you. So stop being a wimp and go talk to them, especially if you have a bigger issue, such as needing to miss an exam. Most professors are very accommodating if you have a valid excuse.

5. If you’re not happy about something, change it. There’s no reason anyone should have to endure a situation that makes them truly unhappy. If you’re having issues with your roommate, say something to them or reach out to an RA if you’re in the dorms. If you don’t like the grades you’re getting, take more time out to study and/or get some extra help, whether it be from a classmate or the professor. If you’re unsatisfied with your school’s location, the programs it offers, or anything else about it in general, transfer somewhere else. I was very reluctant to entertain the idea of transferring because I didn’t want to admit that I had chosen the wrong college in the first place. However, I’m so glad I did make the decision to transfer to Pitt because now I see that I had a much better experience than I would have had at my old school. Don’t think there is nothing that can be done to remedy a situation because most of the time, there is, and it could be simpler than you think. It never hurts to try, either.

6. Don’t worry about finding a romantic relationship in college. For me, this tip hits home the hardest. Sometimes relationships are more trouble than they’re worth, and you definitely don’t need the added stressor as you’re trying to navigate through college. If you just so happen to find yourself in a relationship, great, but don’t feel the need to go out looking for one. I spent way too much of my time looking for my knight in shining armor when I should have just focused on having fun with my friends. After all, it’s not 1950 anymore; college is about finding yourself, not your future husband or wife.

Overall, my main message to all current and future college students is to get your homework done, try not to stress too much, and enjoy your college years while you can. You’ll be graduating before you know it.

Photo Credit: 1

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt